Pontoon Design change

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Just a dumb question, but why dont Pontoon boat makers make the bottom of the pontoons flat so the boat can plane like a catamaran instead of like a canoe? I see a lot of toons running around with 90+ hp engines that are just begging to run flat out, but the displacement style of the pontoon is hindering them.<br /><br />Wouldn't this make more sense? <br /><br />Nav :cool:

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pontoon Design change

You want to make something like this go fast enough to plane? Would it be possible to steer it at all, or would this be the worst case of bow steer ever? :D <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/sites/senecalake/site_page_1945/images/l_grantb-daypartymarina046.jpg
l_grantb-daypartymarina046.jpg

CATransplant

Admiral

Some do. An outfit called Windsorcraft makes pontoons with poly floats with a v pattern. They plane. I think there are a couple of others as well. Misty Harbor also makes or made such pontoon boats. Another maker is JC Pontoons.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Stevens...<br />In answer to your question....YES :D :D <br /><br />Steering can be controlled via a small rudder extension on the back of the toon. Slope the front and it should eliminate a lot of the potential bow steer.<br /><br />Just some thoughts<br /><br />Nav :cool:

salty87

Commander

toss some hydrofoils under the front of that puppy! haha

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Tri-toons will plane. So will 2-log 'toons if lifting strakes are added. As for flat bottom logs, Eroca has been doing those for years -<br /><br /> http://www.ercoa.com/difference.htm <br /><br />Kelly Cook

BillP

Captain

The round pontoons do plane. At higher speeds they "step up" from displacment speeds and run flat on the surface just like flat bottoms. The difference is they run the whole log on top of the water. If you drive one it is easy to tell when they get over the step and plane.

bayman

I wonder the if ride in a flat-bottom toon in choppy water would be a rough one???

stevens

Wow - all the things I don't know. They're probably great party-boats, although I don't think I would want to meet one coming in my general direction at 15-20 knots!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by bayman:<br /> I wonder the if ride in a flat-bottom toon in choppy water would be a rough one???
It is worth noting that only the ONE company has gone to flat bottom logs. And their sales numbers are very modest. All the other builders are sticking with round bottoms.<br /><br />Kelly

bayman

Right, Ercoa uses the "hextoon". Windsor has V-hull toons. Both companies have some segments of their manufacturing which are a lot different than other pontoon manufacturers.<br /><br />Unless you have some new, special way of making different pontoons, it is a lot easier to make round ones.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I agree with bayman. Price and manufacturing techniques means round is easier than anything else to make but round is also VERY strong. To build a square section toon requires a lot of internal gusseting (bracing), but it can be done.<br /><br /><br /> Square toons <br />These are upsidedown on the truck.<br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I had a 10 x 30" double deck patio boat that had the "HEX" style pontoons. All loaded up with furniture, galley, 42 gal's of gas, my 115 hp 'rude pushed it along at quite a clip. I could even single ski behind it, abeit a bit low in the water. Naturally I was running 100:1 ***oil in the 'rude.<br /><br />
010801.jpg