will trim tabs help my deckboat?

ildoc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm a real newbie at boating, so pardon me if this is elementary. I have recently aquired a 21.5 ft deckboat with a Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha One. It runs great, but we have it on a relatively small lake and would like to be able to cruise at a slower speed without plowing. It seems that trim tabs are the only good solution, but will they work on my application and how hard are they to install and use? Will they interfere with my boatlift?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: will trim tabs help my deckboat?

Trim tabs IMHO will help almost any boat. I personally prefer adjustable tabs as I like to play with stuff, but many are going with SmartTabs.<br /><br />Read this entire thread and do some searches on the site. There is a LOT of tab info here.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012079 <br /><br />In the up position adjustable tabs will have no affect on your boat lift or trailer. Smart Tabs may cause some issues. I am absolutely positive NautiJohn will be around to comment on that ;) <br /><br />BTW, I got my 23 footer to plane at 13 MPH this last week.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a very similar boat. 1997 Harris Kayot Deck boat with the same 5.7/Alpha 1.<br /><br />I was thinking the same thing. For my boat to plane, I need to be turning about 2300 rpms(about 20 mph). Any slower and it plows. This is compounded by every passenger wanting to sit in the back rather than up front. <br /><br />I've thought about trim tabs too. I'm sure they will make the boat behave better, but what keeps me from getting them is that its just one more thing to break. I just don't think its worth the money and aggrivation.

D

DJ

I just spent a week running a 26' Crownline Bowrider (7.4L-MPI, Bravo III) with Bennett tabs.<br /><br />The tabs allow you to jump up quick, although that boat is no slouch, and balance any load.<br /><br />People like to sit where they are comfortable, not where you want them. With tabs, no issue. I could balance the boat, regardless of load.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Without getting into the Pro'sand Con's of helm controlled trim Tabs vs, Smart Tabs, there is no question that trim tabs will change your boat beyond your expectations. The planing speed should drop to 15 MPH or less without "plowing".<br /><br />Do a little research and I think you will come to the same conclussion.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

nautiJohn - I thought your smart tabs only worked on boats up to 20'? The smart tabs look like a great idea. The bennet tabs on my father-in-laws boat are always screwed up. Thats why I am hesitant to use tehm on my boat.

txswinner

Banned

Aaron, not an authority by any means but the smart off water and weight pressures, bet they would work on pontoon.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Aaron - please excuse me for butting in, but if you look at John's website ( www.nauticusinc.com ), you will see that there is also something called Smart Tabs II intended for even larger boats.<br /><br />I have the regular 1290-80 Smart Tabs on my 21' 2650 lbs. daycruiser, and they are more than sufficient for this. In fact, I have to have them on a very light setting, and they could have handled an even bigger boat than mine.<br /><br />Best of all, they really do everything they promise to do. Once installed and properly dialled in, you can forget about them. They're so simple that they seem unlikely to break, and if they do, replacing the actuator struts would be really easy.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Aaron;<br /><br />If the boat will accomodate the mounting, then they will work very well. If it is a pontoon boat then the rounded pontoon will not allow for the flat hinge attachment on the plate. Most deck boats I have seen are V bottom hulls similar to or the same as a standard boat. They should do wonders for your boat.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

John, here's a picture of a deck boat transom from a similar 1998 Harris Kayot deckboat for sale here on iboats, plus one from their website.<br /><br />If Aaron's boat looks like this, there shouldn't be any problem fitting the Smart Tabs.<br /><br /><br />
l_kerns002.jpg
<br /><br /><br />
PicLrg.jpg

ildoc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by nautiJohn:<br /> Aaron;<br /><br />If the boat will accomodate the mounting, then they will work very well. If it is a pontoon boat then the rounded pontoon will not allow for the flat hinge attachment on the plate. Most deck boats I have seen are V bottom hulls similar to or the same as a standard boat. They should do wonders for your boat.
NautiJohn,<br /><br />I have essentially the same boat as Aaron, only a 1996 model. How difficult is the mounting procedure for a novice. And will they interfere with my boat lift?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

AaronG,<br /><br />What's the matter with your Father in Law's Tabs? If you like have him contact me at TmcGow@bennetttrimtabs.com and we will be delighted to help him out. Our systems are known for their longevity.<br /><br />Tom McGow<br />Bennett Marine

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

The top picture is very similar to my boat. Its not a pontoon boat, its like a speedboat with a lot of seating. 22'6" 4500lbs. I'll take a look at the smart tabs II<br /><br />Tabman- The problem on my father-in-laws boat (a 30' Century express crusier type boat) is that the actuaters (pistons) never move at the same speed. That causes the boat to list to one side while you level it out with the tabs. We replaced the slower one, and it got better, but its still annoying. He recently bought the bennett auto-tab system. Its the best $500 he ever spent on the boat. It does a pretty good job of handling things. It all just seems too expensive and complicated to put on a boat like mine. On a boat like his, its a must. I'll pass a long your email address to him. He'll probably write you. He loves talking about his boats. <br /><br /><br />The real problem with my father-in-laws boat is just that its a bad hull design. It's a mess if you don't use the tabs. It has way too much weight in the rear (twin v8's with v-drives)

mattttt25

Commander

i have bennett tabs on my grady. from everything i can tell, they are originals (now 11 years old). not a single problem thus far.<br /><br />i love them. even with no indicators, they are very easy to use. provides complete control of boat attitude in any condition and with any configuration of load.<br /><br />the argument that they are difficult to use, or distract from driving the boat is completely false. they simply add control you cannot have unless outfitted with helm adjusted tabs.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Aaron,<br /><br />Tell your dad I would be delighted to talk to him. There is likely a very simple fix i.e. the system was installed with different length hydraulic lines to each side. The Auto Tab Control is pretty neat! <br /><br />Tom<br />Bennett Marine

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

eclymer;<br /><br />Sorry for the delay in responding.<br /><br />The installation should take about one hour. The instructions and kitting method is set up for consumer ease. Everything you need to install the tabs is included in the kit , even the sealant material.