Helm leak

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I just acquired this fine craft with the hydraulic steering moving a 200hp merc. The Hynautic systems has a resiviour with the safty pressure valve on it remotely located at the stern. the steering was not working (the wheel whould just spin, no motor movment) So i found the Fill and purge instructions for a 3 hose pressurized system. the unit was pretty dry, so i filled it up. then i applied some pressure by means of the Tire valve, when it got to about 30 psi the helm started to leak the fluid (auto dextron tranny fluid) all over the helm, I pulled the wheel and it looks to be coming from the shaft that holds the wheel. My question is, Is this repairable? I belive its the "50"series helmp pump and have found a seal kit for it bout 30 bucks. I was going to get a merc book later but i dont think the steering will be covered. Do they make a Hynautic Book?<br /><br />thanks again for every ones looking and trying to help<br />I love this site<br />Surphrat

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Helm leak

PS looks like the entire helm has to come out and come apart from the back to replace the seals at the front of the shaft. It looks like there are a lot of small parts in the exploded diagram of the H-50 (bearings and such) Is this a common Fix or might I have more problems?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This isn't really an outboard engine problem, Surphrat.<br /><br />I think you will get a broader audience in the Boat forum.<br /><br />Going there.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Google it. Information, diagrams and parts are available for some of those units.

Bondo

Staff member

Those only use about 5psi,.............<br /><br />That's Probably the Cause of your Issues.........

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice

yes i found the diagram http://www.charment.com/images/h_50.jpg <br />And that site also has a fill and purge instructions<br />which state to fill the unit with oil, then pressureize to 40-45 psi, Then fill and repeat. But when it hit around 25-30 it started to **** all over. I guess the only question is...Does majority agree that fixing the seals with a seal kit, may solve my problem, or are the helm pump units delicate and should i just replace the whole helm pump?

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just went through the same thing, but with a SeaStar I unit. Since Teleflex has aquired Hynautic steering, they passed it to SeaStar. Check at www.seastarsteering.com . There is sections about Hynautic, and regular SeaStar. I did notice you mentioned that Tranny fluid was pooring out. I'm not sure about Hynautic, but most Seastar systems state tranny fluid will void warranties, and cause steering problems. There is special fluid for hydraulic steering, or you can use a Mil spec hydraulic fluid. Check SeaStar for an owner's manual also, I downloaded one, and was able to replace the shaft seal, fill and bleed, and save a bundle as opposed to a mechanic. Good luck and let us know the results!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Tranny fluid is to be used in emergency only per SeaStar. That is all I use. I suspect it makes the steering a bit tighter but has not been a problem for me.

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Solittle I always hear two stories but if it works for you? Ill give it a shot<br />Ive ordered a h-50 seal kit. Ill let everyone know how it turns out...For now Im still trying to hammer my lower unit off, per my other post.<br /><br /><br />till next time<br />surphrat

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice

Ok works great!!!<br />got the kit for the h-50, even though i had a h-51 it worked. The kit was easy to put in,just pulled the helm off and 4 bolts later i was replacing the 5 rubber pieces the kit contained. So....I put it back on the boat, filled the resivour and filled and purged according to instructions a few times and WHALA..steering for the first time ever!! so 5 turns block to block I think its ready to go! Im gonna hit the lake this weekend. Ive used auto tranny fluid, I know every thing i read says its for emergencies only, but im gonna give it a shot. <br /><br />See you at the lake!