Stator Ohm readings, Johnson 70hp -91

Per

Cadet
I bought this motor as a rebuild project and therefore have had no chance of running it yet.<br />It had suffered the "overheating due to lugging death" which seems very common with these engines.<br /><br />I've been measuring the stator leads, both the ignition and the charging coils, this is what I found:<br />Ignition coils:<br />Orange-orange striped leads 397 Ohms <br />Brown-brown striped leads 397 Ohms<br />The original workshop manual says 480 +- 50 Ohms for both coils (or 480 +- 25 depending on where in the book you look :) )<br /><br />Charging coils (yellow-yellow striped) 1.3 Ohm, should be 1.4 acc to the book, so this coil seems fine.<br />The stator have some thin cracks in it and it seems that some black goo have been seeping out.<br />My concern is mainly the low Ohm readings for the ignition coils, should this stator be changed as a safety precaution?<br /><br />//Per

jim_in_day

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stator Ohm readings, Johnson 70hp -91

Per once your stator starts to leak, it is just a matter of time before it ceases to work, if it's working at all now. I would replace it so you don't have to pull it all apart again after putting it back together.

Per

Cadet

OK, so replacement it will be!<br />I'm thinking of maybe getting one of those CDI-Electronic stators. They are about the same price as the oem part and is putting out 9 Amps in stead of 6.<br /><br />Which one should I buy, any thoughts?<br /><br />I hear the CDI-Electronic have some kind of overvoltage protection, is that true?<br /><br />Will adding a stator with a higer output wreck the original rectifier?<br /><br />Is there anything else to consider if I go the 9 Amp way?<br /><br />Thanks for the answer so far!

Per

Cadet

Actually I found some of the answers my self!<br /><br />CDI-Electronic rate the replacement unit as a 6 Amp so I guess that Ishopmarine must have turned their paper up side down when they read the spec :rolleyes: <br /><br />Anyway, any thoughts about CDI-Electronics products, they seems to have a good reputation from what I've read?