Johnson ocean runner overheating

swade28

Seaman
I have a 1996 Ocean runner 150hp. I recently replaced waterpump and all seemed well. Recently went to coast and got in a little shallower water than meant to and ended up i think clogging the pump. Engine overheated and no water out of the tale tale "pisser". We got in deeper water and let engine cool and after running a little and stopping and forward/reverse the "pisser" slowly but surely started going again. About 20 minutes later the water temp light came on. Shut it down and started back up again in about 5 minutes no more problems. Went out again this weekend to the lake and no problems for a good hour then the temp light. Shut it down for little while then went again for a while no problems then temp light. The stats are fine water is coming out of the tale tale. I went ahead and took the lower off to check the pump again to see if impeller had sustained any damage. It seems fine, however, there is still quite a bit of sand and seems to be small crushed shell inside the pump. Could this cause enough flow restriction to possibly run hot after extended periods of time and should i clean it out and go again or does anyone have more suggestions? The passages seem fine and i ran the engine without the stats to verify water was pumping and it is. Thanks for any assistance. Scotty

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Johnson ocean runner overheating

Hi Scotty, <br /><br />I would definately clean it out, you also may want to remove the water intake screen and make sure its clean and free of obstructions as well.