1973 Johnson 65HP impeller replacement

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone tell me how to replace the impeller on my 73 65HP? I have spent every last penny I have getting this boat ready for the water and I have no money left for the manual. Can someone lend a poor guy a hand and help me out with this info. I plan to buy a manual soon but just don't have the money at this point in time. <br /><br />I have searched for this info and have read alot about it but nothing specific to my engine. I understand that I need to drop the lower unit but how do I do this. After the lower unit is dropped, where is the impeller located?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help offered.<br /><br />Bman

REK74

Recruit
Re: 1973 Johnson 65HP impeller replacement

Would this be a Johnson Stinger by chance? I have a 1972 65hp Johnson Stinger and was wondering the same thing.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think it's the stinger. It a model number 65ESLR73R

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Bman.....You can drop the lower unit, by first removing the shift shaft from the linkage underneath the bottom carb. You will see the shifshaft coming up from the lower unit, and connecting with a pin to the linkage underneath the bottom carb. Once you get that off, remove the 4 bolts you see on the lower unit, and there is also one hidden underneath that circular plate on the under side of the L/U, can't hink of the name right now. Remove th bolt holding this plate on and there is anothe L/U bolt under the plate when you take it off. After that if you are lucky the LU should drop down and the waterpump will be sitting right on top, with the driveshaft going directly thorugh the middle of it. Just so you know, most libraries have outboard manuals that cover a bunch of years, and once you get the LU off you can go and photcopy the pages you need to replace the waterpump from that point.

ob

Admiral

:D How you gonna put gas in the tank when you get er up and runnin?Here's the short version.<br /><br />Remove all neccessary bolts.Disconnect shift rod linkage.Drop lower unit.Remove old waterpump.Install new waterpump.Reattach lower unit and shift linkage.I would also recommend replacing the T/stat.Might also want to consider installing a new shift rod seal while the unit is dropped.Oh,and inner exhaust housing gaskets.<br /><br />You really can't afford to be without a manual.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Cricket - it sounds like a simple process. Your help is greatly appreciated!!! :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Bman....click on the link below which will take you to the BRP site. Click on engine diagrams and follow the prompts. When you get to the menu for your engine, click gearcase. It will show you the parts breakdown for your gear case. Should help.<br /><br /> http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OBJ - that makes a world of differnce. I'm gonna get a lot of use out of that website. :D THANKS!!!!!!!!