1984 Johnson 90hp idle problem

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a quick kinda dumb I guess question to ask.I have a 1984 Johnson 90hp with the VRO disconnected mixing 50:1. I went to start the motor tonight on the muffs and it idled around 1000rpms to 1500rpms is this to high or is this a normal idle on the muffs.I didnt know if the motor kinda depended on back pressure from the water to kinda idle it down a little bit.<br /> Also the boat hasnt been started for probably 3 weeks to a month due to being in the shop for a foot related issue. It also smoked pretty good while it was running and left a nice rainbow on the concrete while it was running.<br /> Any answers or advice is greatly appriciated.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 Johnson 90hp idle problem

Not to worry Rb.....normal for an engine to idle high on muffs....just for the reason you said. No back pressure.<br /><br />And you will see a little more "rainbow" effect also.<br /><br />Nothing to worry about..... :)

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1984 Johnson 90hp idle problem

Thank you very much OBJ..Im kinda a worry wart I guess,but Im taking my Captain from the Fire Dept. fishing and I didnt want to get stranded out on the lake.Dont think that would be good if I was asking for a pay raise LOL..<br /> Thank you again.