1978 85HP COIL QUESTION

solidwaste

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1978 85hp johnson getting it ready for some fishin and I noticed all 4 coils are for lack of a better word guey looking I dont know much about motors should I change them? I havent ran the engine i about 3months couldnt get it to fire today when I tried..Thanks for help

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1978 85HP COIL QUESTION

Can you see any signs of cracking on the coils as well? How did it run 3 months ago?<br /><br />Might be a good time for a compression test, and spark test, if those check out ok it could be fuel related. Typically a "guey" substance on the coils or stator is not a good sign, personally I would replace the coils if the compression #'s are good, but that's just my opinion.

solidwaste

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It ran fine 3 months ago never had any problems started right up and ran solid..I will check comp this weekend.And spark..Thanks..

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It would be unusual for all four coil's to be going bad at the same time. Check the spark, and see what you have.

solidwaste

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did get it runnin today..Maybe she was just cold needed alittle help..But I know I need to replace at least one of my ing coils on one of them the red wire looks half rottin almost like it was melted..Can see the wire now..I have to get a spark tester and comp gauge I would like to check it all out before I start this season..Took one of the plugs out it was black so I guess I need to replace them as well..Now once I got it runing it ran for 15min no problems shut it off and cranked up on 2nd or third shot.So it seems ok.But like otherwise stated I have very little knowledge with motors,I do however have tools and a manual so will see..