starter motor 1989 evi 110 screeming

reeldutch

Lieutenant
the starter moter screems for help.<br />it makes a loud noise when turning.<br />i checked the brushes seem fine and i cleaned the comutator.<br /><br />it still screems am i missing something?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: starter motor 1989 evi 110 screeming

Did you lube the bearings? Sounds like a bad bushing.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Both end caps have pressed bushings. They support the armature. Check to see if the armature seems loose. Likely that the bushing clearance is loosening, and the shaft may be vibrating as the armature rotates, making the noise. Both caps are sold separately.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

thanks guys<br /><br />it doesnt want to engage the flywheel either.<br />do i have to buy new endcaps?<br />can i test the armature before i spend money on this thing?<br />it looks all good bud i want to be shure.<br /><br />thanks guys

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Does that mean the bendix isn't flying up or something else, reeldutch?

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Does the bendix engage the flywheel before it starts making the noise? There is a rubber bushing inside the bendix gear. Could be that this is slipping under load & making the squealing noise. They can do this esp. if WD40 or similar gets in there. Have a close look at the starter motor shaft/bendix while the starter motor is turning and you should be able to see.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

the bendix doesnt engage the flywheel.<br />and it starts screaming as soon as i start it.<br /><br />november was the last time when i winterized the motor, that the starter was working propper.<br />battery fully charged.<br />may be the bushings are worn to the point the armature wobbles and screams and prevents it from reaching its full power?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

More likely the bushings are dry reeldutch. I think what your going to have to do is pull the starter and disassemble it and do some cleaning and lubrication. Your starter has a flat commutator and is easier to put back together than the round ones. Brushes are still available also. <br /><br />Once you get the starter apart, you can look at the bushing and see if you got a lot of wobble. Little bit of work but beats buying a new starter.