115 Evinrude 1976 starting problem!!

boofberry

Recruit
I have a 115 Evinrude 1976 Model NO: 115693D which has begun to have problems starting. <br />Everytime i go to turn the key i hear a hollow clicking noise which i hear is coming from the solenoid, however occasionally and only occasionally the starter motor cog will slightly turn then will engage the fly wheel and start the engine. The engine will run fine and not miss a beat. <br />I can turn the engine off and start the motor first time again however if i walk off leave it and go back to try to start it again, it will simply make the hollow clicking noise again and not move the starter cog. <br /><br />I know the boat starts fine when it actually starts and it runs fine but only starts intermittantly. (every now and then).<br /><br /><br />Thanks :confused: <br />boofberry

ob

Admiral
Re: 115 Evinrude 1976 starting problem!!

Check the large 12 v cable connections to and from the solenoid and clean and reattach the ground lugs on the engine block.Sounds like a bad connection or corroded cables to me.Might also want to insure that the starter bendix(pinion)will freely twist up the starter shaft.May need to hit it with a small amount of oil to isure freedom of movement.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check your battery cables very well. i had small nick in mine, water intruded and corroded and was not visable. WD 40 works wonders on the bendix.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I'm in agreement with the above replies. Sounds like you have either a loose cable or a tight but dirty cable connection somewhere.<br /><br />Remove and clean all related cables, at the battery, solenoid, ground, starter, etc. Don't simply assume they're okay.<br /><br />Note that even a good cable, and obviously a faulty cable, will become quite hot to the touch when cranking the engine.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If there are wing nuts on the batttery, replace with brass, or stainless nuts, and washers.