Coil leaking?

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed what appears to be fluid comming from one of my coils yesterday. Thing is it isnt fluid, its a sticky black substance. I couldnt find any cracks in them. My guess is the epoxy is starting to "let go". I guess this means I need new coils?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Coil leaking?

The insulation leaking out is not a good sign. If the case is'nt cracked, where is it leaking from?

B.autry4711A

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rudybrown,<br /><br />How fast does your boat go? I have a 1989 Evinrude V-4 88 SPL that goes 48 MPH WOT. I have a 12 3/4 X 21 pitch prop on a 16 Chapperral ski boat.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by R.Johnson:<br /> The insulation leaking out is not a good sign. If the case is'nt cracked, where is it leaking from?
From the area where the epoxy meets the plastic on the bottom.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Big Bubba:<br /> Rudybrown,<br /><br />How fast does your boat go? I have a 1989 Evinrude V-4 88 SPL that goes 48 MPH WOT. I have a 12 3/4 X 21 pitch prop on a 16 Chapperral ski boat.
I dont remember exactly, but at about 5200rpm it's 48 or 48.2 something like that, according to my GPS. I was hoping for 50, but it just aint so :mad: . I'm running a stock SS OMC 13x19 prop. My tach is bad so I'm not sure 5200 is accurate. I want to get a jack plate this summer and try to tune the boat. I'll get 50 yet. ;)

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

the black sticky stuff is potting material. From what was explained to me (I have a charge coil leaking on a motor) it's arcing internally and getting hot. My charge coil wasn't cracked, it was leaking from where the stator core goes through it.