Shift Rod Adjustment 6hp

norrislong

Recruit
Is there an adjustment by screwing the rod in the lower unit in or out? Rods are connected properly but am having trouble running forward with full throtle without slipping in and out of netural. 1969 6 hp Johnson

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift Rod Adjustment 6hp

Welcome Norris!<br /><br />Nope....no adjustment. One of two things. Either the shift rods are not all the way into the shift rod connector or the lobes on the clutch dog are wore out. Does it feel like your hitting a log when it happens?

norrislong

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, OBJ<br /><br />No, I notice the rpm's increase so I slow down it engages again. I can run at moderate speed without a problem. Must be the rod connectors. Can I "jam" them a little tighter?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Are you sure the prop isn't spun? That's sure what it sounds like.<br />To test, mark the part of the prop where the drive pin goes through against the outside of the prop where the blades are with a magic marker. Take the boat out, rev it up and check it to see if the marks still line up.<br />If it's really bad, there'll be little black curly bits of rubber about.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Norris....take Pauls' advice and do the test. Could save you a lot of trouble.

norrislong

Recruit

Thanks a million!!<br /><br />After looking at the prop you are probably 100% right. The pin is fine but there is a lot of play between the bushing and prop. I have a friend with a box of old props he was given when the local boat dealer moved. Maybe he'll have one.<br /><br />Thanks again to both of you!

Paul Moir

Admiral

Sounds like you've got it. There shouldn't really be any play at all unless you really crank the hub. <br />Make sure you get one that's got the right pitch. There are a lot that fit that won't be apropriate since the same props fit the 5, 5.5 and some 7.5hp outboards. Check for numbers on the props and post them here.