airguide tachometer help needed.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer
I secured an old Airguide tach off e-bay. the seller said it was for a 2 cyl. 2 stroke. I hooked it up to the kill switch wire, but it reads 3000rpm at idle? What does this 2 lead tach connect to? On the face it says for models 653 or 654. In yellow paint on the back, it says 9FA. A little help please? Thanks, Joe.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: airguide tachometer help needed.

As I recall from when I replaced an old non working Airguide tach with a newer tach, 1 wire goes to ground and the other wire is connected to the gray tach send lead. Neither should be connect to the kill switch wire.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

hmm, Thanks MCM.. where would I find this grey tach lead? I dont think I have one of those on this motor...<br />its a 1960 e-rude lark 40 horse. there is a tach ground wire in the wiring diagram, but it only grounds out to the control box, or at least thats what it looks like on the schematic...

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You may have to open up the control box to locate the lead. there's sometimes a small opening in the bottom of the box where the lead should exit, sometimes it just gets stuffed up inside etc.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

so is it a lead that goes to the motor? or does it do something inside the control box. theres not anything in the box except the connector block and the solenoid as far as i can tell..<br /><br />also the only grey wire on the schematic is teh aforementioned "tachometer ground lead"

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

heres the schematic I am looking at, only I dont have the generator on mine<br /><br />
2627.jpg

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The gray tach lead should be contained in the wiring harness that leads from the the motor to the remote control box if you have one. The lead should be in an area located near the ign. switch etc.<br /><br />Did you pull the cover on the junction box or the remote?

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

I can find the grey wire, is that what hooks to the + or the _ on the back of the tach? from that wiring diagram it appears to ground at teh control box. does the other terminal go to the corresponding battery/system polarity?<br /><br />Thanks again and sorry for all the questions. I was told by the guy on ebay it was NOS complete, but in reality there were no instructions whatsoever, and as you probaly know, there is little mention of them on the internet.....

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm pretty sure the gray connects to the +, and the - on the back of tach can connect to any neg/ground source. I'd have to go dig that old tach out of a box to refresh my memory and be 100% possitive.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

thanks I'll try it in the morning

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

DOH! I guess I should at least throw up a picture of the offender..<br /><br />
2624.jpg
<br /><br />
2625.jpg

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Scrumbler, I found some instructions in an old manual, the info I gave you is 180* backwards.<br /><br />TACHOMETER CONNECTIONS:<br /><br />The leads of from the breaker points and from the ground are available at the switch plate. The breaker point lead is available at the "M" terminals of the starting switch, and the ground lead is the "GRAY" wire labeled "Tachometer ground lead" <br /><br />Connect either of the switch "M" terminals to the tachometer "breaker point" (+) terminal, and the gray lead to the "Tachometer Ground" (-)<br /><br />I appologize for for any mixup/bad info I gave earlier.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How's that for psychic, you were posting as I was typing :D

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks so much MCM!! now I just need to figure out why one of the "M" leads gives me a jumpy needle between 1000-6000rpm, and the other gives me a constant 3000rpm at idle.. :rolleyes: <br /><br />If they both read the same,I would suspect the guy told me the wrong application for the tach. but since they are so haywire, I suspect it may be something with my ignition system, even tho it seems to run well :(

EASYGOIN4

Cadet

Joe,<br />I have a very similar problem and would like to talk to you some more. Can I call or email you? My emial address is chris.taylor@gepex.ge.com<br />Please respond via email.<br />I have a 1963 28 hp evinrude and have been looking for a year now to get a tach for it and how to hook it up? Any more help would be Great. Thanks Alot just reading your forumn has excited me, that maybe I am close.<br />Chris