1992 Evin 90hp Water Pressure gauge Issue

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello. . . .<br />I have installed a water pressure gauge on my E90TLEND motor, and after reading all I could find in the forums on the issue, I am still not sure where to tap into the motor. <br /><br />I would rather not T into the pee line, and want to get tapped into the motor jacket somewhere.<br /><br />Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated. . . .<br /><br />One other thing, I was curios if a 4 stroke V8 Tachometer works on a 2 stroke V4 engine, as the strokes should be the same. <br />What is the idle RPM, and WOT RPm I can expect?<br /><br />Thank you

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: 1992 Evin 90hp Water Pressure gauge Issue

That's a 90 deg. crossflow and the proper location IS to "T" into the pee hose.<br />Idle RPM should be 650-750 in gear...WOT RPM will depend on prop, and as for the tach, I would recommend you use ONLY a marine grade, and an OMC/BRP tach would be best for that engine.

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well it seems that will be low pressure for the gauge. . . . There is no way to tap into the water jacket ???

walleyehed

Admiral

Do you want to know what the cooling system is doing or are you looking for something else????<br />If it's a 90 dgree crossflow, you T in to the Pee line, period.<br />It'll be 2-4lbs at Idle and maybe 22-25psi at WOT, t'eed to the pee line.

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the pee line is just an indicator . . .. Right ?<br /> <br />I have an electronic pressure sensor that runs to a digital gauge, so why can't I just remove the elbow that feeds the pee line, and the sensor will thread right in. . . .<br /><br />Will that cause any issues ???

walleyehed

Admiral

You have no by-pass for pressure relief by putting it in the hole...I think we better include Dhadley or seahorse on this, so you get the correct info...I'll see if I can get one of them to answer your question.<br />The pressure gauge is a reference only, in which case you are more interested in a change of pressure vs. how much.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I guess you could do that, you'll just lose your visual reference. Your readings at that point (without the overboard) will be skewed slightly.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I think you are under the assumption water pressure is higher in the block. Its a cooling system with multiple paths that are open to each other -- pressure is the same regardless where you measure it. Now if its water flow-rate your interested in -- we have a very different situation and that would require a fluid flow-meter. The tell-tale is essentially a controlled "leak" in the cooling system. Tapping into the block or in the tell-tale line will produce the same pressure readings. Look at it this way -- if you turned on a faucet in your home and measured water pressure where it entered the house, it would be the same as measured just before the water exits the faucet. If you tap into the tell-tale and then held your finger over the outlet you'd see a slight pressure rise because you plugged the "leak". Without the tell-tale you'll undoubtedly have peoply trying to run you down telling you that you have no water pressure. When you attempt to explain what you've done they will give you the "deer in the headlights" look and that will delay you by a good amount of time. :)

ob

Admiral

The tell/tale hose also exits from a point near or at the top of the engines cooling sysytem.This running leakoff also allows air to escape the system.Without this air escape I would guess that you may experience pressure guage fluctuations and possibly airbound pockets withing the water passages.I personally would not do away with the tell/tale line.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Walleyhead or Dhedley.<br /><br /> I am also goiing to instal a water pressure gauge on my 1995 130 hp Johnson looper.<br /><br /> By what i gather i should also T into the pee hose is this right?

walleyehed

Admiral

The looper is a bit different, and I believe you plumb right into the block on the stbd side near the bottom...Dhadley can tell you for sure on the location.<br />The crossflows are all I've actually plumbed in pressure gauges on.

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the input. . . I think I just need to remember that this is just a maintenance indicator, and not get carried away . . . .<br /><br />I did infact install the sensor T'ed in to the tell-tale / Pee line, and took the boat out today. 40 degrees, and I was alone on the lake" imagine that" . . . The sensor would fit directly into the case where the tell-tale line attaches, but the mention of trapped air does seem possible I guess, if leak-off is another job of the tell-tale line ??? I this actually another function of this line ???<br /><br />I did find out that the Pressure Sensor only reads down to 5 lb's of pressure Minimum HMMM and I got to that mark just above idle speed in gear. At WOT I got a reading of 15 lb's, so I just need to use that as a reference point. . . Right?<br /><br />I did see where on another post it was stated a WOT water pressure of 20 - 40 LBS is that a realistic pressure I should be seeing ? i.e. impeller needs replaced ? Previous owner replaced it in fall of 04 or spring of 05. . . .<br /><br />I have a tach "in the mail" so I have yet to find out the RPM at WOT, but we clocked the boat topped out at 35 mph with GPS. It is a flat to V Style Hull 18' 1969 Crestliner 1/2 Cuddy all aluminum. I am going to be burried at sea in this boat :)<br />As soon as I get the Tach I will be able to see if the prop is right for the old boat / New motor as well.<br /><br />At this point I will leave it as it is in the T'ed Tell-tale line.<br /><br />Thansk again guys !!!!

walleyehed

Admiral

I think that will be fine as a general reference...<br />My V6 Crossflow gets about 23PSI at WOT, and about 2-3lbs at an Idle of 600RPM. I believe if plumbed to the block on a looper, the pressure reads higher "I think"...I hope Dhadley steps in and confirms whether I'm right on that, but I do know it won't hurt anything T'd in the tell-tail line.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A couple of things -- on a crossflow, like Dave's, the indicator elbow doesnt vent the block in the stock location (at the bottom of the exhaust water jacket cover). Unfortunately. That's why we "T" into the top of the water passage to allow that air to escape. Saves a lot of water cooled rec/regs and helps reduce some piston & ring coking.<br /><br />On a looper the water pressure is read from the adaptor plate. If you T into the indicator line on a looper, you'll show 0 pressure at idle and about 5-8 at wot. I think that was the nimbers. Anyway its way off.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Walleyehed,<br /><br />23 psi on your crossflow sounds a bit high. Do you have an Ocean Pro water pump housing in it by mistake or possibly an optimistic gauge? Idle psi is about right.<br /><br />By the way, I like your "sig"

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Musky HunterDave:<br /> <br /><br />One other thing, I was curios if a 4 stroke V8 Tachometer works on a 2 stroke V4 engine, as the strokes should be the same. <br />Thank you
An outboard uses the alternator pulses for a tach signal, not the ignition system as a car does. You will need an outboard style tach and set the selector switch to #6, which refers to the alternator pulses per revolution.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys for the info,<br /><br /> one more question, does the adapter plate have a plug or do i have to drill a hole?<br /><br /> I cant check my motor as it is stored.

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dhadley. . . .<br /><br />So you are saying the pee line elbow at the block, should be relocated to the top of the block rather then the bottom, and if so is there already a place for it, or will it require drill and tap ??<br /><br />So if I understand you correctly, the factory location at the bottom is inadequate for proper venting of air in the system ??? Right ??<br /><br />I did come to grips with the tach issue, and one is in the mail as we speak. I was hoping to install this week, and get her back out for another test, but we are getting nailed with snow, so I guess it is time to rest the boat, and dig out the snowmobiles again :)<br /><br />So is the 14/15 lb pressure reading at WOT high / low/ or normal ??<br /><br />Thanks again guysfor all the input<br /><br />Dave

walleyehed

Admiral

By seahorse;<br />
Walleyehed,<br /><br />23 psi on your crossflow sounds a bit high. Do you have an Ocean Pro water pump housing in it by mistake or possibly an optimistic gauge? Idle psi is about right.<br />
I looked up the pump for this (1982) 200, and pulled a BRP P/N it called for.<br />One thing that has changed is the water pick-up...it had the std 4 hole pick-up, and I modified that by using the 1/8" drain hole below them as a pilot hole for a 5th water intake hole....I then ground the channel to match the other 4, I then tapped and plugged the top 2 holes, filled the allen heads, sanded and painted. Before I done this I got right at 20PSI at around 5700 and 56-57MPH...now that I have the engine back and up farther, I'm running more pitch, a bit more speed at the same R's, but water pressure has increased by about 3lbs with the water pick-up change.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

JC, your looper will have the hole and it probably has a small allen head plug in it. Its on the starboard side right below the throttle arm and slightly back. As easy as it is to remove the pan on that side it might be a big help.<br /><br />Dave, we dont relocate the elbow, just drill into the water jacket (in the block, not the head) and install a plastic T. Your line should go up and over the top of the cylinder anyway.