200 hp Johnson - Reverse Problem

Knightime

Seaman Apprentice
I just purcaced a 95 200 Johnson. Is not shifting into reverse, netural and forward seem to be fine. <br />The lower unit was replaced....any idea's?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200 hp Johnson - Reverse Problem

Couple things come to mind Bill. One....the shift rod height may be wrong or was not set prior to lower unit installation or Two....the shift cable adjustment is out of whack.<br /><br />You can disconnect the shift cable at the engine and shift the engine manually. This will tell you if it's the shift rod height if it don't go into reverse.<br /><br />If it goes into reverse, reset the shift cable adjustment. But the engine in neutral and adjust the shfit cable trunion to fit the anchor slot.

Knightime

Seaman Apprentice

Disconnected the shift cable and tried manually. No go....even tried to push down on the shift rod...still nothing.<br /><br />Is it possible the lower unit was installed wrong, isent the shift rod supose to be in one gear or another during installation?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Why was the lower unit repalced?

Knightime

Seaman Apprentice

don't think it was replaced entirely, just the pump changed. It was off anyway...*smile*.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

It helps to have it in reverse (shift rod down) only because it makes it easier to connect the shift rod up in the lower engine pan.<br /><br />More important is the shift rod height. With the lower unit off, shift the lower unit into neutral and the bend on the end of the shift rod facing forward.<br /><br />Measure from the lower unit mating surface to the center line of the hole in the shift rod. Your shift rod height (I think) is 21 15/16" - +/- 1/32". Maybe Mr. D. can verify that.<br /><br />Maybe if you answer Dhadley's question on why the gear case was replaced, if would help.

Knightime

Seaman Apprentice

Lower unit was removed to replace the pump.<br />I am installing this on a boat where a 175 johnson was.<br /><br />I removed the lower unit, the shift rod adjusts by turning it. However, I just can't seem to get it. Tried several times turning the rod up and down.<br /><br />Do either of you have a good starting point as far as number of turns?<br /><br />Thanks....

DHPMARINE

Captain

You need the factory manual to give you shift rod heighth in neutral.Also if they had 60 and 90 degree 200's in 1995,besure you grab the correct manual. I grabbed the wrong manual on a 115,as I remember,and tore the gearcase apart twice before I came to my senses.<br /><br />DHP

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

car you shift it manually with just the rod and get it to catch?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Bill -- I'm not sure I follow (dont worry -- not you, it's me). You bought a whole motor to repalce the old one, right? And you removed the gearcase to install a pump kit, right?<br /><br />We're not trying to put the 175 lower on a 200, are we? This is the lower that belongs on the 200 -- right?

Knightime

Seaman Apprentice

All fixed, I simply kept adjusting 2 turns trying, lowering the unit, adjusting....<br /><br />Thanks for the input guys.<br /><br />Sea trail tommrow....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ya gotta make sure the shift rod is at the right height, not just somewhere that it works on land. You'll tear up the gears in short order.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Ain't gonna fly Orville.......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

my cystal ball shows a shift clutch and gear in someones future. shift rod height is a tad critical and easily set with a measuring tape, especially if you can count to 16.

Knightime

Seaman Apprentice

Gotacha guys...thanks!!!<br />I'll make sure to get the correct measurements (remove it again *sigh*)...and make it right. <br />I didn't realize it was so crucial.<br /><br />Guess I NEED TO HEED, OBJ's saying. When all else fails, use the manual - or in this case buy one..*L*<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Bill

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahahaa<br /> no worries. but its a deal I have repaired many times. shift rod height is critical, I have repaired to many cases that the rod height was off and the owner tried to adjust the cable to compensate. usually it works for a bit then the clutch starts chattering on the driven gear a bit, them it starts popping in and out of gear under a load. then Its a gear and clutch replacement and the last fwd gear set I bought for a v6 omc was close to 500 bucks sitting on the counter. no bearings,seals or water pump kits just a fwd,pinion and clutch assy.<br /> all due to about an 1/8 inch miss on the shift rod.