71 Evinrude 60hp won't idle

kitrok35

Cadet
My 71 wont idle for long without stalling, I've rebuilt the 3 carbs and set the idle pin as described in the manual, 5/8ths of a turn. New fuel punp, runs great at high rpm. Help! :mad:

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 71 Evinrude 60hp won't idle

Did you ever do a link and synch after re-installing the carbs? This synchs the throttle opening with the timing.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

What Cricket said and.....the 5/8th turn out on the low speed needles is just a starting point. If the engine won't idle, turn them out another 1/2 turn. Once you can get it to idle...or something close to that...you will need to adjust each needle individually to get a good idle. This should be explained in the manual.<br /><br />Are you are using a generic manual....Seloc or Clymers.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to the forum kitrock35,<br /><br />I'm not sure what manual you're refering to but I suspect 5/8 turns of a turn is not nearly enough on that motor.<br /><br />Try these instructions and I think you'll have better success.<br /><br /><br />Carburetor Adjustment - For those small Johnson, Evinrude, and Gale motors with adjustable jets, adjust carburetor as follows per instructions of Joe Reeves:<br />(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br /><br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.<br /><br />Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.<br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.<br /><br />(High Speed Adjustments)<br />At full throttle, with the proper size screwdriver, slowly start turning one of the H/S needles in segments of 1/8 turn, waiting momentarily for the engine to respond, then repeat turning. You will reach a point where the engine will start to die out. At that point, back that needle valve out approximately 1/4 turn. Now, go to the other High Speed needle valve and repeat that procedure. At some point in that 1/4 turn out, you will find the smoothest high speed setting (you can now lower the throttle rpm). That will have both high speed needle valves set correctly, and at that point you can lift that center lever adjustment of that high ridge, keeping it lifted until the point is facing the engine, then lower it into its proper position. (When you turn that lever now, you're adjusting both High Speed needle valves at the same time.)<br /><br />Post back if you're still having porblems

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ya got me OBJ :D

kitrok35

Cadet

Thank you for all your input, the linkage is all pretty well synched, all moing the same amount at the same time. The cam roller matches up nicely with the hash mark. Also the manual I'm using is a general one, it covers 1.5 hp to 150 and years 195? to 72 so it's not very specific.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Throttle plates moving the same amount at the same time is not what link & sync is about. You must first make sure all three plates are fully closed. If one is slightly open and the other two fully closed, or one is closed and two partially open you can't hope to get a decent idle. Once you have the linkage adjusted so all are fully closed, the next test is to make sure all three plates are perfectly horizontal in the throttle bores at wide open throttle. If they don't open fully or open past horizontal you have another adjustment to make. This is a touchy operation so make sure you understand the process. Idle mixture and speed must be adjusted with the engine in the water. On muffs there is no back pressure -- in the water there is and that affects idle quality and speed.

kitrok35

Cadet

Thanks again for the advice, I now have a much better idle, but now the top end is suffering. There are no high speed adjustments on these carbs, is it all about the low speed adjustment on the top carb or am I missing something?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

kitrok, <br /><br />Did you remove the high speed orifice plug located behind the brass plug on the bottom front of the carb bowls and clean the passage ways thoroughly when you rebuilt them?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it ran fine at higher rpm's before then there may be something some fine tuning still to do, either in the link & sync or the slow speed settings.<br /><br />What plugs are you using and what are they gapped at? how do they look? are they fouled etc.?

kitrok35

Cadet

Mike, the plugs are ac delco I'm not sure of the gap but I will check. They look fine, unfortunately today I have to work. I was running the boat yesterday, it was bogging at first until I got it to plane then ran okay for a few minutes then it would bog ect...it was nice to be on the water, only the second time since I started this project 5 weeks ago. You really seem to know your stuff, please email me direct @ kitrok35@juno.com to continue the dialogue.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

You're gonna want to run champion plugs at the proper gap.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kitrok35,<br /><br />You will probably have more success keeping this thread going as there are members here who have much more experience and knowledge than I do.<br /><br />We need to start with some basics and a few questions to get a feel for where you're at.<br /><br />Is this motor new to you and what if any maintenance history can you provide? <br /><br />What prompted the carb rebuilds? <br /><br />A good place to start is with a compression test and post the results here. The next is spark, spark plug should be Champion L77V, I'm not sure on gap but I think its .040. Spark should be strong blue and snappy and jump about 7/16".<br /><br />Inspect the ign. coils for any signs of cracking (even small ones) or other damage. Not an uncommon thing on those coils if they are the originals.<br /><br />If the copmression and spark check out then you may need to revisit the fuel issue.<br /><br />Also you should see about getting an OEM service manual for that motor, they're far more specific to your motor tham the aftermarkets. They can be found at Kencook.com, MarineEngine.com, and quite often on Ebay for a decent price.<br /><br />Poat back any results ;)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Try (Q)L77JC4 plugs, gapped at .040. Are you using fresh fuel? Fuel tank properly vented? If you pump the primer bulb when it starts to bog out, what happens? If you hit the choke when it bogs out, what happens? What did the plugs look like after the last run? Just covering the basics...

kitrok35

Cadet

The motor is new to me, it was not used for approx. 5 years judging by the outdated registration sticker on the boat. Although the carbs looked clean upon inspection I figured it was best to rebuild them. I am using fresh gas with a new can with the vent open. I don't have a compression guage so I can't tell you that, though I will get one. I haven't inspected the plugs after the last run so I can't report that either. More to follow.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kitrok,<br /><br />Since this motor is new to you this link has some good info that will apply. such as replacing water pump, t'stat, l/u oil etc. Check it out.<br /><br /> Awakening a sleeping outboard