60hp 3cyl. tstat housing bolts

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
I am changing out the tstat and two pressure relief valves. I aquired this motor over the summer (for free) and it hasn't had care in some time. This motor is an old salty and has good even compression, runs great and I want to keep it that way. I used heat and penetrating oil and took my time, but one of the tstat housing bolts snapped off :( . All the bolts were salt encrusted and I'm lucky I got 4/5 out. I really don't want to get into drilling out the broken out and tapping and....<br /><br />Since threaded hole is deep and only the deepest part is threaded, do you think I can tap the outer portion and just use a shorter bolt. I not pro "hack" jobs, but I don't see how this approach would be a problem. Opinions?<br /><br />Thanks

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 60hp 3cyl. tstat housing bolts

Look down in the lower post on a 9.5 with a snapped screw.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 60hp 3cyl. tstat housing bolts

Thanks R.Johnson-<br />I read that post, its a good one. I know that is the proper procedure. <br /><br />But I was just thinking since so much of the hole (the hole I described in my previous post) isn't threaded, I could "cheat" and thread or heli-coil the unthreaded portion and use a shorter bolt. But by your reply, I guess I got your opinion...Do it once, do it right.<br /><br />thanks