1999 50 hp johson starting problem

BILLYP

Recruit
Hi guys Im having a problem with 1999 50hp johnson electric start motor. This motor will start fine cold and run fine until i turn it off. When i go to start the motor again It will not start it turns over but will not fire. This does not happen all the time id say about 30%. I thought I might have had a carb problem so I cleaned both carbs and also installed two new carb kits. Needless to say i still have the same problem. Thanks for any help Bill

ob15

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 50 hp johson starting problem

Explain your procedure when you try to restart. Have you tried squeezing the bulb? Do you use the primer? I have an 89 50 and I have to prime it to get it restarted after sitting for a while.

BILLYP

Recruit

Hi Dave When it will not start I do pump the the ball and prime it. If I let the motor sit for a period of time anywhere from 35 min to 2 hours it will start and run fine. Thanks Bill

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Are you raising the fast idle lever for warm starts? Actually -- you should be raising this lever when cold as well. This helps tremendously. The engine just needs a little extra air when warm.