78 175 Kill Switch Wiring

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got a sea-dog generic kill switch for my 78 175. Have the standard motor harness and iginition switch. Black is ground and Black\yellow engine kill. The swith has two male spades marked "C" and two marked "M". The tiny paper used as instructions is useless. Just need to know which wires go where. Do I use the C or M terminals?<br /><br />Thanks, :cool:

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 78 175 Kill Switch Wiring

Can't tell you which pair to use,but if you pick the wrong ones,the motor won't run unless you remove the teather.If that's the case,swap 'em out.<br /><br />DHP

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the type that can be used on a magneto type ignition or a battery type. Having never seen the one you are using I'd be guessing but you'll probably use the M terminals.<br /><br />Your ignition is a magneto type. When you pull the lanyard you want the black/yellow to connect to the black. IE - the circuit will close when the lanyard is pulled.<br /><br />The conventional ign system opens the system to kill it. IE -- the circuit will open when the lanyard is pulled.<br /><br />Use your ohm meter to see which two terminals are connected when the lanyard is off. Those same two should not be connected when the lanyard is on. Thats the 2 you want. I suspect that will be the M terminals. Maybe not.<br /><br />The other terminals are for an inboard or I/O with a conventional ign syatem.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Actually I think he has a CDI system,terminal type power pack,and needs to connect the black/yellow lead to black to shut the ignition down.<br /><br />DHP

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the quick response on the terminals. Will test the terminals as suggested. Once I know the terminals, how do I connect it to the black and black\yellow. Black/yellow gets jumped to the kill switch terminal from ign? The other kill terminal just goes to negative?<br /><br />Hard to tell I'm fairly competent with electrical work, Huh!

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Motor is capactitor discharge according to the evinrude manual.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes, thats a form of a magneto ignition. It has to ground out to stop as opposed to a conventional system that requires initial voltage from a battery to produce spark.

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dhadley,<br /><br />Spot on on the ground to stop the beast! Now I just need the pointers on wiring sequence.<br /><br />Cheers,

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Found an old Joe Reeves post (another site ho hum on the search here).<br /><br />On your engine which has Magneto Capacitance Discharge ignition, installing the kill switch is quite simple.<br /><br />One wire of the kill switch is to be connected to the Black/Yellow wire at the "M" ignition switch terminal. The other wire of the kill switch simply connects to ground. That's it.

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the posts. Checked the continuity on the kill switch and the "C" terminals were the answer with continity when the lanyard was pulled. <br /><br />Yellow black from ign switch added a second wire from the post to the kill switch C. Other C terminal on kill switch went to ground. <br /><br />Happy boating

DHPMARINE

Captain

snagroms,<br /> Thanks for posting that you got it working.Few people do,so we never know.Well I guess when they stop posting we can assume. (grin)<br /><br />DHP

snagroms

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like to close the loop on an issue so others can follow through.