Alarm horn

buttonhook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an alarm horn going off of my 2000 johnson 115. It is a constant horn and I can't get it to turn off. The horn get louder and softer but it stays on. when started it goes through the self test and all the light turn on and the horn sounds for each then they go off just like normal but the horn stays on <br />WHY????????<br />it just started and the motor stranded me and my stepson on the lake(it died and would not start back) I found one of the carbs flooding I flushed all of the float bowls and it stopped flooding but the horn still stays on.<br />This engine has less than 20 hours on it.<br />I need help.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Alarm horn

If its still under warranty contact the dealer you got it from and have them run a diagnostic on it.<br /><br />Also post the model#<br /><br /> EDIT: 2000 motor, forget what I said about the warranty I suppose

buttonhook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no warranty left!<br />does anyone know what warning mean what on these motors.<br />the sound is quieter than the self test beeps. but loud enough to be heard (it will drive you nuckn futs) and the motor seems to run ok. it is still using oil and will still run aroung 50 mph

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The "horn" is part of the SystemCheck warning system on your engine, and it is not a horn that makes its own sound when fed 12 volts and a grounded tan wire like 1995 and earlier motors had.<br /><br />Your "horn" is like a stereo speaker and it needs a signal to make it generate a sound. The 4-lite System Check gauge generates the signal and only does it when the motor is running, or for a quick beep when you first turn the key to ON.<br /><br />Most likely the problem is inside the 4-lite gauge and the only quick test is to substitute a known good one.

buttonhook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so it could be just a bad horn or gauge? I unpluggd the horn and now it does not sound even though the lights still light up and go off as normal. but it does sound all the time (when connected)as long as the key is on(engine not running or running)

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by buttonhook:<br /> so it could be just a bad horn or gauge? I unpluggd the horn and now it does not sound even though the lights still light up and go off as normal. but it does sound all the time (when connected)as long as the key is on(engine not running or running)
Another quick test would be to hook up your horn to another boat with the SystemCheck system. If everything is OK then, you will know that your gauge is faulty.

buttonhook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my dad has a 2003 50hp johnson saltwater would it work to check?

VolvoPunch

Recruit

Sorry to bring back old threads but i am having the same problem with a Sea Ray SunDeck 190. Why am i getting the alarm noise? Is it because of a gauge (What gauge?) or the horn (Does it come from the speakers or the real horn?) Also whats the fix for this problem? Thanks