Difference in tilt & trim

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Re: Difference in tilt & trim

Trim is used underway to optimize the angle of the prop to the water.It moves the angle of the motor slowly. When the motor gets to a certain angle the tilt takes over and moves the motor more rapidly to the full tilt position for trailering. The trim rams are the smaller hydraulic rams on each side of the center and larger tilt ram(on my Johnson 115 and most other larger size Johnson/Evinrude models.)

so - the tilt moves the motor in and out of the water and the trim raises the motor up (shallower) and down (deeper)? Do I have it now?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my first suggestion if he is new get the manuals, before he makes an anchor.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by San Antonio Cop:<br /> so - the tilt moves the motor in and out of the water and the trim raises the motor up (shallower) and down (deeper)? Do I have it now?
the trim pivots the motor on the same bracket as the tilt - it just moves slowly, so you can make adjustments while underway to get the best performance. The trim pistons push it up to a certain point then the tilt piston takes over, for running in shallows or stump-fields or tilting it on up out of the water. If you throttle up with it tilted up (but not out of the water) it'll bleed down to the highest trim setting. My '79 70 has electric tilt but not trim, might be the same with your 1983 60, if that's the one you're talkin bout.<br /><br />p.s. a manual will be a good investment if you plan on workin on it yourself. It's not too hard even for a hacker like me. Good luck.

Walker

Captain

Cop, if you still don't understand call me tomorrow after 11:00 am at Fire Station #9<br />533 9069<br />In fact call me anyway and I can help with your other questions about the throttle and pulling the engine off the boat.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The trim will only lift the engine under full power, as to give the best bow lift, or trim angle of the boat, this is usually at about 15 degree's. When the tilt reach's this angle, the tilt mode does not have enough hydraulic presure to overcome the power of the engine, and will stop at this point. When the engine is at rest, or at slow idle, tilt will will lift the engine to full extreme, such as beaching, or trailering the boat. Of course! when trailering the boat, the engine must be locked in the down, or trailering position. This is done with a mechanical stop that is located on the mounting bracket of the engine, and bear's againt the tower casting.