would buying a 90 hp in canada be alot cheaper

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
looking at all options to save some green. If i could get a tohatsu 90 for $6500 canadian that would be sweet. Any company's out there to save us force owners help.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: would buying a 90 hp in canada be alot cheaper

Why would it be cheaper in Canada? If anything I would guess it would be more expensive. I don't know what that Tohatsu would cost here, but it's going to be about double in Canada because their dollars are worth about half as much...

Paul Moir

Admiral

Half is a little extreme. Since your dollar has adjusted, 6500CDN = about 5000US. Wouldn't you have to pay duties at the border? Mabey just we do, going from the US to Canada.<br /><br />Also, make sure your warranty will work at US repair shops. Some outboard manufacturers limit their warranty to particuliar countries to discourage you from purchasing outboards from another country.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you do buy it here, be sure to look into the GST rebate program. You may be able to get your 7% tax back. If you can get it in Alberta there is no provincial sales tax so it might end up being tax free. I still don't know if you would save $ though and service might be a problem.

gss036

Commander

You would have to pay duty since it is not made in Canada or U.S.. Right now the exchange rate is about 76.4 cents. Probably not worth the effort. <br />To get past the duty under the free trade act it has to be made in U.S., Canada or Mexico. You would probably have to look at Mercury, Evinrude or Johnson.<br />If you go 4stroke,then the Mercury/Yamaha or Johnson/Suzuki so you might be able to go that route and save some $, especially on Mercury.<br />If you go that route, they can mark it as EXPORT and then there is no sales taxes involved.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I can't see it costing less in Canada, unless the product was made up here in Canada. I'd buy it from a State that is tax free like New Hampshire.

Forktail

Ensign

Every outboard I've ever bought in Canada has been cheaper.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah i had seen new 90hp hondas for like in the 5 range those where 4strokes. So surely a tohatsu 90hp would be cheaper. What if I dont pay the tax not gonna would the mountys come after me lol.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The GST (goods and services tax) and the PST (provincial tax) are collected like a sales tax at time of purchase. Then there is the duty you need to pay upon entering the USA.<br /><br />THe GST is 7%, the PST for Ontario is 8%, the duty is ???? Then there is the tax that your home state may charge you when you register or title the motor. ??? Then you get to apply to get the GST back, as a refund, which can be a real pain if you don't follow all the rules along the way. Been there, done that, learned to follow the rules.

Forktail

Ensign

I just put them on the back of my boat and drive through the border. Doesn't cost a dime. ;)