TN-20, TD- 28 Johnson 5HP

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Is it just coincidence, or a known prob. I have two 5 hp with great spark on the bottom plug, zero at the top. These are 46-48 TN-20, and a 53 TD-28. On one TN, I changed the top coil (with wire) and stuff from a froze TN-20, and it still would not fire the top cylinder. Had the throttle half way. Had the TD on the bench today, and it would not fire the top either! And all three have slightly different style coils and points, so don't know if I could interchange or not anyway. Just a wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: TN-20, TD- 28 Johnson 5HP

Hi Scaaty,<br /> If memory serves, those motors have a stop switch that is activated when the timing lever is pushed all the way to the left. Those switches, and the wiring involved can deteriorate and short out one side. Might be worth a look, perhaps disconnect it entirely to remove it from the equation.<br /> Try swapping parts top for bottom to see if the problem follows. Do it one part at a time...<br /> Hope that helps.<br /> BTW - the TN would be the TN-28. The TD would be the 20. TNs had the Neutral clutch...<br />- Scott

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: TN-20, TD- 28 Johnson 5HP

Thanks Scott..That makes sense on the cut-off (as does my butchering of the N's and D's. I'm thinking right, but my fingers and typing and brain aint connected). Thanks..(again) you're a great help here!