Shift rod removal on a '77 Johnson 85hp

Fred Weston

Cadet
I am trying to drop the lower unit on my 1977 Johnson 85hp outboard. I screwed up and removed the lower unit without disconnecting the shift rod first because I did not have a repair manual when I started. Now the lower unit is partially disconnected and I believe the shift rod is the only thing still keeping it from coming off.<br /><br />I have supported the lower unit with a floor jack and removed the "carburetor / intake" (please excuse me if this is not the correct name) located at the bottom of the crankcase right above the top of the shift rod. There seems to be some sort of retaining pin installed through the top of the shift rod and I need to know how to remove it. There does not seem to be much clearance on any side, so getting a punch in there seems unlikely. To get an idea of what I am talking about, check out this picture: http://files.fredwick.com/files/2193192400851570.jpg <br /><br />Any help is appreciated!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift rod removal on a '77 Johnson 85hp

Fred.... Remove the shift cable from the engine shift lever setup. Now, remove that large bolt and washer in the middle of the shift lever assy. You can now remove both sides of the lever assy, one of which contains the pin you mention.<br /><br />Be sure to have the nylon bushing installed when you reassemble the pin into the shift rod assy.