trouble with ignition

johnsonowner

Recruit
hi there i am a new poster, now my problem is that my 1995 johnson 200 ocean runner wont start, the motor has not been sitting or anything , it started sputtering and died last week as i was doing my routine start up , i have narrowed it down to not having any spark , i have changed the cdi box for a good used one and the timing base with no luck , and i was wondering if the stator or the rectifier or anything else could cause this problem, i have also checked the kill switch and it is working fine, any help routing the wires around the motor would be great, also befotre i changed the timing base the engine would run if i gave it 1/3 throttle and jiggled the wires going to the timing base, it also sputtered while it was running. :confused: <br /><br />i know i have gas and i have checked for spark with no luck , as being a mechanic by hobby this really frustrates me ,any help wil be apreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: trouble with ignition

John.... If you're sure that there is no spark, remove the spark plugs, then disconnect the large RED electrical plug at the engine.<br /><br />Rig up some kind of spark tester whereas you can set a 7/16" gap. Now, crank the engine by jumping the starter solenoid and observe the spark tester.<br /><br />If you now have spark, the usual cause is a shorted ignition switch.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trouble with ignition

see the post 'won't start low compression' boat bouy posted a great spark tester, about 1/2 down the thread.