EVINRUDE 50hp wont start

boator

Cadet
please if any one is able to help.<br />we just got a boat and motor, they worked well together for the neighbours to hear. today we put it in the harbour, the motor started but just as we were about to take it off the trailer the motor stopped. we couldnt get it started so we brought it back home. <br />We hooked the hose and earmuffs up and tried to start it but still no go. we noticed black oil sludge coming out of the exhaust, iv read around and it seems to be normal. <br />when we try start it, it sounds like it tries to start and a tiny bit of smoke comes out from the propeller area.<br />is this a simple fix or is this where the money pitt begins?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: EVINRUDE 50hp wont start

Welcome to the forums confirm, First thing is to post the motors model & serial #'s, that will help in avoiding misguided info and advise.<br /><br />Another thing would be to check for spark, spark should be strong, blue and snappy and jump at least 3/8 to 7/16 of an inch, weak, yellow or no spark will require further troubleshooting, proper spark may narrow it down to a fuel delivery issue. As to the cost depends on the results of troubleshooting the problem.<br /><br />Post back with more info and someone will be along to give more advise.<br /><br />And above all else have a Merry Christmas ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check out the Engine FAQ on this subject, confirm.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

boator

Cadet

I checked both spark plugs, no spark from either.<br />pretty depressing.<br />the Mod no: 55979C85<br />serial no: A351691<br />Evinrude 50 hp 2 stroke.<br />there is also the smell of unburnt fuel from where the spark plugs come out.<br />checked forward controls for sparks or short circuit when starting and gave it a light spray with WD40.<br />coils for each sparkplug look ok and were working yesterday morning. <br />the sparkplugs looked clean when we pulled them out.<br />thankyou for your help so far.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i couldn't find your model # is this as Austrailian made motor. i have a 55 evinrude 1973 model 50373R had similar problem found red wire on rectifier was damaged.

boator

Cadet

I'v looked all around / inside the motor, only other info i can provide about it is that it was distributed by OMC and we were told it was a 87-89 yr model.<br />The guy we bought it off had a problem starting it when he got water in the forward controls, his mate sprayed it with WD40 he told us, and we saw it working fine after that. <br />im not to sure if that would have an effect on not getting a spark, but its all we know about it.

D

DJ

Does the control box have a kill switch (lanyard) on it?

boator

Cadet

no kill switch, key ignition start on control box.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

I thought all the newer ones had a kill switch lanyard like DJ said. Are you sure it didn't fall off?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The emergency (what the guys are referring to) kill switch is on the side of the control box confirm. Take a look and see if it still has the original cap style lanyard. If it does, replace it with the newer style three prong key.<br /><br />What to do is, push in on the kill switch with your thumb and crank the engine. If the engine fires or your spark comes back, the fix may just be a new lanyard.

boator

Cadet

hey, we had a master mechanic look at it today and check it with a multimeter, apparently there is power going into the flywheel, but none coming out. we got the socket and undid the nut ontop of the flywheel but now we are stuck, we dont know how to lift the wheel off, is there some screws somewhere we havnt seen? we are good with electrics so any suggestions that will help us would be greatly accepted.<br />thanks guys

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Confirm....if this is a 87 to 89 year model....then you ain't got no power going into the flywheel.......it all comes out. Can you eleaborate a little more?<br /><br />And to pop the flywheel, you'll need a harmonic puller. This uses the three screw holes in the top of the flywheel. DO NOT use a gear puller. You can bust the wheel in half using one.

boator

Cadet

hey, we got a marine mechanic mate to come round and fix it, which he did. so the motor was working as good as ever so we left it working by the end of the day, we came out this morning and turned it over before taking it to the water. and guess what, same problem. no spark.<br />checked the coils, controls, flywheel, sparkplugs, redid a few dodgy wire connections. checked cdi unit.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would suggest that you get your marine mechanic mate to come back around, and explain exactly what he did to get it running.<br /><br />Have a good look at that model number too, I don't think that the models released here had model numbers THAT different the American models. Most were the same.