Johnson 25hp won't start

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi there I have a Johnson Model: 25R76E and Serial Number: E4431642, any idea of the Year, Horse Power and what type of sparkplugs should I used.<br />I will really appreciate any Help.<br />Thank you

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Johnson 25hp won't start

Hi eula30, you have a 1976 25hp johnson w/rope start. Spark plugs should be Champion J4J or alternate plug is UJ81J, not possitive on gap but I think its .030. Oil/fuel mix is 50:1.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Champion J4C has replaced the J4J.<br /><br />Everything else as MCM says.

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I really appreciated your info. <br /><br />Thank you

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I try to start the motor today and it won’t start. The motor was sitting on a garage for 5 to 6 years Up-side down. The motor has spark on both cylinders, cold compression is 120psi on both cylinders, the carburetor was taking apart and it was clean in and out and still won’t start, the carburetor on this motor has a screw in type lean and reach needle, Does any one knows how many turns on that needle? Is it 2 1/2 turns. Does any one have any idea why this motor won’t start please? My arm is falling out of my body; I will really appreciate any help.<br />Thank you

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Does the primer bulb in the fuel line firm up when squeezed? Choke working? Try squirting a little pre-mix fuel in the carb throat (don't use starting fluid). If it fires, then dies repeatedly, the fuel pump is probably bad or the carb is still gummed up in the small jets and passages. If that fails, flywheel key may be sheared resulting in an out-of-time situation.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable Needle Valves (N/V’s)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns. <br /><br />Setting the high and low needle valves properly:<br /><br />NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.<br /><br />(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting. <br /><br />(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.<br /><br />Also see: http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000033

ramirez62

Cadet

Eula i think i have the same exact model engine you got. I'm also currently having some probs with starting mine. My arm has come close to falling off as well. I think i need to rebuilt the carberator before the engine thinks of turning over.<br /><br />Good luck

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Eula....you'll want to make sure the spark is jumping at least a 7/16" gap with a hot lighting like spark. Your 76' has points and condensers and the coils are under the flywheel. Might take a peek under there and make sure the coils are still good.<br /><br />Setting so long, it would be real advisable to take the carb off, soak it out and put a rebuild kit in it.<br /><br />Same for the water pump impeller. Change it out after you get it to fire.