1964 Evinrude Lightwin 3hp foldable

chaps04

Recruit
Just purchased a 1964 Evinrude Lightwin 3hp outboard folding motor off of Ebay. model # 3602E<br />serial E02715. It has not been run for 6 years. Took off tank, cleaned carb, heads, spark-plugs, drained and replaced lower unit oil. 2 Questions, 1. how do I service the middle unit (the portion of the motor that holds the shaft)? There is a grease fitting in the middle and a little screw at the top. 2. Since this is a folding motor, there is a roll pin (looks like a shear pin) that engages the drive shaft of the middle unit with the lower unit when the two halves are joined together. Is this the shear pin? Or is it located at the prop? Thanks for the help. Jim <br /><br />model # 3602E<br />serial E02715

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 1964 Evinrude Lightwin 3hp foldable

I'm not sure about the srew on top,but lube the fitting with BRP Triple Guard Grease.Maybe loosen or remove the srew and see if you can pump out the old grease.The screw also maybe a steering tension adjustment,but those usually have a spring on them.<br /><br />The roll pin may even be a spirol pin (stronger).Grease this as well. The shear pin is located on the prop shaft.<br /><br />DHP

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Model 3602 is a 1966 in my book, Chaps.<br /><br />Great . . .um, .. .terrible piece of junk.<br /><br />Send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. I will even pay the freight. :D <br /><br />Good luck, and welcome to iboats. :)

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

On that folding model, there is a flat coil spring that holds the coulpler in place. The coulpler is the piece that joins the two drive shaft's together at the folding joint. I once lost the coupler when showing someone how the engine folded up because this spring was out of place. I had one sweet time finding another, don't let that happen.

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

A foldable model? That sounds cool. Anybody got a picture?

D

DJ

I also have one of those, same year.<br /><br />The screw, at the top, is for the steering tension.<br /><br />The grease advice is good. There really is no service for the mid joint.<br /><br />As R. Johnson said. DO NOT lose that coupler!