johnson 9 1/2 outboard no water stream????

donell67

Recruit
hello i was thinking of buying this motor its probly about a 1970. wanted to test it before i bought it. there was no stream of water coming out when the motor was running.is there supposed to be a visible stream on this motor. had it in a barrel of water. it ran for 10 minutes pretty much at idle then died. it was sprinkling rain and the drops were sizzling on the motor. also when it died smoke or steam rolled off the motor.is this motor any good now or can i just replace the pump. what does a motor like this go for.thanks for the help.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 9 1/2 outboard no water stream????

Welcome donell!<br /><br />Don't run that motor again until the water pump impeller and the t-stat have been changed out. That engine was overheating. Get a compression test on both cylinders. What your looking for here is compression within 10 to 15% across the holes. Compression from the mid 80's to 90's would be great for that engine. But again, the compression on both holes should be within 10 to 15% of each other.

budman8330

Cadet

look for flaking paint around the cylinders....if it has a pink color to it thats a pretty good sign that it overheated. replace the water pump, run a compression test, and try running it again to see how much damage was done.... :) <br /><br />im not an omc guy, but thats what i would do<br /><br />good luck

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

these motors dont really have a stream of water but they do "spit" out of the hole just lower then the cowling cover in the mid section. lookin at the prop side of the motor it will be on the left side. i woyld say its time for an water pump and thermostat like stated above. the motor can sell from 100-500 buxs depending on condition. most all parts (tune up) are still avalable for these motors but there is a few items that have been discontinued and are alittle hard to find. i just unloaded all my spare parts on ebay and they bring pretty good money

bb_ed

Seaman Apprentice

Watch out running your outboard in a small barrel even with a new pump. On many motors if the exhaust port is close to the side of the barrel sometimes the exhaust will prevent clear water (without exhaust gases) from getting to the pump and it will act just like a bad pump. Since it did overheat you really do need to check all the stuff the other posters have suggested.