Bad compression.....decisions

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got a Evinrude 1972 20hp and a 1982 20hp very cheap. $75 for these two motors, a yamaha 24l plastic tank and a 13 fot speed boat.<br /><br />The guy I brought it from told me that the '72 worked after he stopped using it (18 months ago) and the '82 has a blown block.<br /><br />I've started working on the '72 and found that the lower chamber is at 50lbs (cranking manually with fly wheel) and the lower 10lbs. When I put my finger over the plug holes the lower chamber sucks and blows well but the upper only slightly.<br /><br />I filled the chambers with oil and soaked the cylinders well before working on the motor, so I guess something has happened in the last 18 months.<br /><br />My dilemma is, do I try and revive either one of these motors, or do I break them and sell the parts on ebay?<br /><br />Have just ordered new impeller, carb kit, fuel pump kit, etc.......Typical!

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Bad compression.....decisions

It's almost free to pop the head off and see what's wrong. If you're just spinning the flywheel with your hand you won't get a very high compression reading, unless you mean you used the pull-starter.<br /><br />What's wrong with the '82? Is there a hole in the block? If so, perhaps you could sell off parts of it to finance the other engine. I'll bet you'd get a fair price over there where parts are a little harder to find.

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I installed the pull starter and got readings of lower 70lbs, upper 25lbs. The motor was unstable, I can test it with a better mounting, but I guess the results will still have the same difference.<br /><br />In Norway parts are rare but few are interested in buying them. People have money over here and tend to just buy new motors!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Pull the heads on both motors and have a look-see.