Evinrude 5 1/2 Carb. Mystery

GerryWm

Recruit
I'm fixing up a fine old 1960 Evinrude 5 1/2 hp, but I'm stuck on a carburetor problem I can't figure out. When I bought the motor, it had good compression but needed a water pump, and I noticed that it had one step hotter J8C spark plugs in it. I replaced the pump and put the correct J6C plugs in. The first time I took it out for a run, it seemed to smoke quite a bit (on fresh 24:1 fuel) but ran well for a while, and then got me home on one cylinder. Someone told me it was important to have the points adjusted to .020", so I made a flywheel puller, and found them at .015". Next time out, it ran terribly, I think on one cylinder most of the time. The original coils were cracked, the spark plug wires were old, so I ordered complete ignition and carburetor rebuild kits. With the help of an old Selock manual and Tom Travis's web pages, I did a careful job of installing these and getting all the adjustments right. All the passages in the carb. are nice and clean, with a new float and float valve. Spark on both cylinders. But... it runs worse than ever, and won't idle below "start". It seems to be very rich and quickly fouls the bottom plug with wet fuel. It will run on one cylinder with the hotter J8Cs, and runs "best" with the slow speed needle screwed all the way in! Then, if I screw the high speed needle all the way in it will promptly die. The float is set level, the new valve, seat, and seat washer look fine, and the vent passage is wide open. The bowl gasket is new and looks good all around. I can't figure out how it is getting too much fuel, but it certainly is. And, it's especially disturbing that all the symptoms are the same as before I rebuilt the carburetor and ignition ! I'm stumped, and I would sure appreciate some advice from someone who really knows these old motors.<br />Thanks - Will Thur

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Evinrude 5 1/2 Carb. Mystery

I'm no expert on those motors but my suspicion is that your problem lies in your ign. system and not the carbs, the reason being someone was apparently trying to compensate by running hotter plugs and having the points set at .015, what kind of spark are you getting? is it strong, blue and snappy or weak?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Pull the head, and exhaust manifold cover, and take a look at the gaskets. A leaky head gasket is not uncommon on these little engines.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Before that, pop the fuel pump off the side and pump up the primer bulb. See if it's leaking any fuel out the port in the back. This is simple and cheap to check vs the exhaust & head gaskets, although they're likely sources of trouble too.<br /><br />If you can pump up the primer bulb and no fuel is pouring out the mouth of the carb, then your needle/float/seat system must be working.