63 Evinrude 40 hp submerged

63evinrude

Recruit
I have a 1963 Evinrude 40 hp that was submerged completely in saltwater this weekend. We had it towed back to shore and had a friend who is a mechanic look at it. We pulled the carburetor drain screw and let it drain until fuel came out. Then pulled the spark plugs and turned the motor over to flush out any remaining saltwater. The motor will not start now. I am getting spark to the plugs. Is there anything else I should do? The mechanic covered the motor in anti-corrosion stuff before he left. Any help would be appreciated. <br /><br /><br />Evan

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 63 Evinrude 40 hp submerged

Welcome Evan,<br /><br />Was the motor running when it went swimming?

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This info is from the manual (not 1963) and probably applies to yours as well.<br /><br />"If a motor is lost overboard while running, it should always be dissassembled before any attempt is made to start it. Often internal parts are damaged, and attempts at at starting or running under these conditions can result in further damage."<br /><br />"A motor lost overboard in salt water should always be dissassembled and cleaned before starting is attempted. Some materials used in modern are subject to very rapid corrosion in the presence of salt water and should be inspected to determine if replacements are required"<br /><br />Others with more experience in dealing with these issues may come along with better advice.

63evinrude

Recruit

No, the motor was not running when it went under. Thanks for the help.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well thats a plus I suppose. The salt water is something else.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Determine if you have sufficient spark. It should jump a 3/8" gap with a strong "SNAP". Check the top and bottom cylinder's leads.<br />If that seems to be OK, mix up some 24:1 and put it in a spray bottle. Liberally spray it down the carb's throat while the engine is cranked. See if you can get it to fire on that.<br /><br />It is very important that you get the salt water out of the crankcase. Far more important than the cylinders. Did the mechanic face the spark plug holes down towards the ground when he cranked the water out of there? Did he face them straight up before pouring oil into the holes? Have you replaced the spark plugs?<br /><br />Really, the engine should have been rinsed out with fresh water at a minimum, alcohol being the better idea.

63evinrude

Recruit

OK, when he rinsed out the cylinders, the motor was sitting upright. I have replaced the spark plugs. I don't think that the spark would jump from about 3/8" gap and a strong snap. He said something about probably replacing the condenser and leads. <br /><br />Thanks again for you guys' help. I haven't really worked with any kind of marine engines before. I am pretty good with cars though.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ok, first you've got to make sure you have all the water out of the engine. Remove the spark plugs, and turn the engine so one piston is at top dead centre. Lay the engine on it's port side (shift lever sticking up if it's got one / if not throttle side sticking down) and rotate it on to it's back so the spark plugs are sticking up, then just a bit further. Check to see if any water runs out. Rotate the flywheel 180° and repeat. This will drain the crankcase chambers.<br />If salt water comes out, pour some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol down the cylinders, rotate the engine a few times, and then pour it out as above. The alcohol will absorb the water.<br />When you're done, drop a couple tablespoons of TC-W3 down each spark plug hole with the engine on it's front, wait 10 minutes, and then turn the engine a few times to distribute the oil. <br /><br />If you have weak spark, the most likely cause is that the points are contaminated, not the condensors or the leads. In fact, I have re-used condensors that sat a week in salt water. If the coils are old and cracked, that is the next most likely source of trouble. The spark should be able to jump at least 1/4", if it's only a spark plug's gap it won't ignite the fuel/air mix under compression.<br /><br />Have you got a harmonic balancer puller?

63evinrude

Recruit

I can get a harmonic balancer puller pretty easily.<br /><br />Why do you ask?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Gotta get this thing running, and quickly! As Paul noted, get a flywheel puller and pop that flywheel off. Clean and dry the points and gap them at .020. Not likely that the condensers went bad, but you never know. More than likely you've got wet points with salt on them.<br /><br />Once you get it running, run it! Take it for a ride - longer the better. The running of the motor will flush most of what's in there out, and the heat built up by the motor running will evaporate what isn't flushed out.<br /><br />- Scott

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Chinewalker:<br /> The running of the motor will flush most of what's in there out, and the heat built up by the motor running will evaporate what isn't flushed out.<br /><br />- Scott
Only problem is the salts don't evaporate.<br /> The lower crankshaft bearing is a likely spot where water will get trapped and eventually cause it to fail.<br />Engine tuner is also a good choice to sprsy into the carb and spark plug holes while cranking the engine. It seems so mix with the water helping get rid of it.