1990 90 horse sleeping Johnson ?

mtblackdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently picked up a Lund 1990 Tyee II with a 90horse johnson on it. I am wondering how to drain the old fuel from the tank and engine. Also any other things I need to do to this setup after it has sat so long, 6 years, I will definitely replace all the lower unit goodies, impeller ect.... What about gear fluids and what might those fluids be in this paticular engine.<br />Thanks a bunch.<br />Jamie

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1990 90 horse sleeping Johnson ?

Welcome to the forum Jamie,<br /><br />Have you read this, web page

mtblackdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike-I did and it was very helpful, Im still a little unsure on how to get all the fuel out of the tank and engine do I need to pump it or is their a drain on the motor that will work. <br />Jamie

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Extend the hose with some extra fuel line and simply squeeze the primer bulb to get a siphon going. The end of the hose needs to be below the level of tank of course. Simply drain the fuel into a container.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jamie, The only fuel tank I'm aware of for your motor is external with a fuel line running to the motor, correct? no drains on the motor short of disconnecting the fuel lines on the carbs that I'm aware of either.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm with Upinsmoke Jamie ;)

Walker

Captain

I don't recommend "draining" the fuel from the engine. I'd go a complete carb cleaning/rebuild on the carbs.

mtblackdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Walker-The engine has less than 20 hours ever on it, the last time the guy that owned it took it out it had set awhile before that, he had the carbs cleaned took it out to the lake, there was 3 foot chop on the water he drove it home parked it under an equiment shed and hasnt moved in about 6 years. Im thinking the Carbs never even got a chance to be dirty, my real concern is the lower unit, but Im not sure because I am definitely not an expert, would there be a chance of residue because of the evaportation process.

mtblackdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Walker-The engine has less than 20 hours ever on it, the last time the guy that owned it took it out it had set awhile before that, he had the carbs cleaned took it out to the lake, there was 3 foot chop on the water he drove it home parked it under an equiment shed and hasnt moved in about 6 years. Im thinking the Carbs never even got a chance to be dirty, my real concern is the lower unit, but Im not sure because I am definitely not an expert, would there be a chance of residue because of the evaportation process.

Walker

Captain

The carbs are probably gummed up real good from evaporating old fuel. I'd almost guarantee that. You might even find stuff growing in there. <br />We're talking two carb kits at about $40 each and a little labor and carb cleaner. I prefer a soak like Chemtool. Make sure each and every orifice and passageway is sparkling clean and open.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jamie, not to disagree with Walker but, "if it aint broke....", change l/u oil, water pump etc. put a new mix of fuel in it, pull the plugs and replace if they look bad, spray some premix in the cylinders and let it soak. Either run the motor on some muffs or take it out on the lake and see how it runs, you'll know pretty quick if you need to rebuild the carbs. But there's no point in rebuilding things needlessly, IMO ;)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Add a can of SeaFoam to the new fuel. If the carbs are in "reasonable" state of clean, any existing varnish & gum may be taken care of as the engine runs. In fact its a good idea to run SeaFoam all the time but at reduced amounts. It helps keep the fuel system clean. If the engine does not run well with fresh fuel, carb rebuilds would likely be necessary even though there are very few hours on the exiting rebuild.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good point Upinsmoke, forgot to mention that, first cup of coffee and all :D

Walker

Captain

A fouled carb, even partially fouled can cause a lean condition and end up burning up your motor. Remember, the fuel/oil mixture is the only lubrication the internal engine parts get. I would never run a motor that has been sitting 6 years, or even 1 year, without overhauling the carbs.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Speaking of fuel/oil mix if your motor has a tag that suggests 100:1 as the mix disregard it and use 50:1.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Walker; not in disagreement with you....but simply to ask a question to help me better understand...<br /><br />If an engine is getting enough fuel to run well (good hole shot...reaches specified red-line RPM at WOT, etc)...how can there still be a possibility of such a severe "running lean" condition as to cause damage from lack of lubrication?<br /><br />Can an engine that is running so dangerously lean be able to acheive red-line RPM at WOT? Somehow it shouldn't seem so.<br /><br />I suppose that multi-carb engines (at least three or more carbs) could have a condition where one carb had issues but the others were OK...which could lead to oil starvation on one or more cylinders and not cause such horrid performance as to be noticed by the operator.<br /><br />I have a harder time imagining a single or even dual carb setup running sufficiently lean where the operator would not be able to tell by the lack of performance.<br /><br />Thanks for reading, Chuck

Walker

Captain

The carbs on this motor are in 2 units, but are actually 4 separate carbs with only common fuel bowls joining 2 carbs together. 2 stroke engines can and will run suprisingly well on "lean" mixtures, just until they burn their guts out. Add to that the chance that even one carb may be resticted and you might never have any indication until your motor siezes.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

To further demonstrate what Walker says, when at the dock, pull the gas line loose and run it at idle til it runs out. Right before it stalls from lack of fuel, it'll lean out and speed up.

Tolly family

Seaman Apprentice

One of those carbs has crud in it and you have instant ruinded cyl. on that nice 20 hour engine. Clean the carbs out to be sure or roll the dice, your call.<br /><br />Dan

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

If it aint broke it might be next time you take it out. I made that mistake with my favourite 70's Merc 500. After sitting for two years I ran it without cleaning carbs and half way across the lake a bearing blew because a dirty carb wasn't providing any lube to it. I'd clean em to be safe.<br />Here's a nice visual aid :p : (Yes, those are bearing rollers in a piston)<br />
DSCF0012edt.jpg
<br /><br />Eric