gas leak when trying to start need help!!

dungY

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1987 johnsons ....110? i believe?<br /><br />When i crank the motor there is gas coming out of the lever that says <br /><----"run" <br />"Manual"----> (not sure what its called)<br /><br />i am new to boating, does this indicate a clog somewhere between the cylinder and that lever? or does that need to be replaced?<br />I opened it and it appears to be clean. what is this called btw?<br /><br />any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: gas leak when trying to start need help!!

it means you will need to rebuild the primer assy. the kit is not expensive and its rather easy to do. an oring has gone bad, the kit has the cap assy,and the gasket. quick and simple fix.<br />when you break the old fuel nipples off use a small self tapping screw to remove them from the hose.<br /> the nipples like to break.

dungY

Seaman Apprentice

where can i find the repair kit?<br />i searched here on iboats with no luck and called a couple places w. them not knowing what im talking about.... "primer assembly?, do you mean the primer bulb?" is what im getting....<br />"shrugs shoulders"

dungY

Seaman Apprentice

is it the primer assembly? or the electronic choke??

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Motor does not have a choke, it has a primer, and yes it can be operated manually with the red lever or the key switch. Go to a BRP (Evinrude/Johnson) dealer for the parts. They'll know what you need.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You might hear it referred to as a "choke" but really it's a primer. There's a dealer in ft worth on Grove Street, Fore & Aft Marine, one block west of I35, south of Berry, corner of Benwick & Grove. bet they can fix you up.<br /><br />good luck!

dungY

Seaman Apprentice

problem solved, they called it the primer cap, i basically got an upgraded one to a schrader valve.... but put that in and new plugs.... and what do you know, got the motor running thanks for the help

TimMattson

Seaman

Now run some Engine tuner thru that valve every 50 hrs,run it hard after 15 minutes ,swap out the spark plugs and youll last a long time.<br /> You also can Fog your engine but remember to buy the cans with the clear tube + fitting for the schraeder valve.<br /> Tim M