what causes flooding or wet plugs?

bober99

Recruit
I've heard about outboard "flooding". What causes this? Will pumping the primer bulb too much on an outboard cause it flood and make it hard to start?<br /><br />I noticed sometimes if my outboard dies from a low idle, it is difficult to restart until I wait a while. <br /><br />Wet causes the plugs to become wet?<br /><br />My greatest joy in boating is to start my 15hp outboard on the first pull. I pump up the ball until firm, pull out the choke and pull fast on the rope. Sometimes it works on the first pull, other times it takes up to 5-6. <br /><br />Why the difference?

Bradster941

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what causes flooding or wet plugs?

“Wet causes the plugs to become wet?”<br /><br />Too much gas of course said the SeaHorse !!!<br /><br />So, lets look at the possibilities. <br /><br />1) carb. Flow is incorrect. (rich)<br />2) carb. Needle and seat is bad.<br /><br />Simple test for #2 is to pump the primer bulb till firm, wait 15 minutes, and see if it is still firm.<br /><br />If that isn’t it, get the numbers off the carb. and engine and post here. It is possible someone put a mis match on that OB.<br /><br />“My greatest joy in boating is to start my 15hp outboard on the first pull. I pump up the ball until firm, pull out the choke and pull fast on the rope. Sometimes it works on the first pull, other times it takes up to 5-6. <br /><br />Why the difference?”<br /><br />Because of the three point rule needed for combustion;<br /><br />1) Oxygen<br />2) Fuel<br />3) Heat<br /><br />If one isn’t balanced with the others, you’ll need to crank, (pull it through), until the balance comes back in line and can support combustion.

bober99

Recruit

Thanks for the info. Is there a general rule to getting engines to start easier? I noticed mucher compression engines (130psi) start much easier than weaker compression engines (90psi). <br /><br />Is this by design? Thanks.<br />Henry

Bradster941

Petty Officer 1st Class

90 psi is pretty low. Sounds like your about due to rebuild.<br /><br />On a little 15 hp like yours, you'll find it a easy and fun project... :)