Stuck cowling on 35 Johnson

merc20

Seaman Apprentice
I have an '82 35 Johnson with a stuck cowling lever. I was finally able to get it to open to remove the cowling, now the lever will not move at all. I can't lock the cowling down now. I have tried removing the retaining bolt-- didn't help. I have soaked it in wd-40-- didn't help.<br /><br />Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks in advance for any input.

Re: Stuck cowling on 35 Johnson

Merc 20;<br /><br />I haven't found WD-40 to be all that effective in loosening stuck/corroded parts. While I'm sure there is someone who will know of something more effective, I've had fair luck with PB Blaster.<br /><br />If the problem is salt corrosion it can be a real bear to deal with. As a last resort you may have to apply a little heat to free it up. Obviously applying heat can damage plastic bushing, etc. I'd then suggest that you disassemble the latch mechanism and clean it thoroughly and re-lube.<br /><br />The below link should show an exploded diagram of your motor housing and latch mechanism.<br /><br />http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp/AsplIsmCcatViewBase.jsp?reqFor=29&req4Browse=1&lvlCode=5&pCode=C0255581&path=BMC~A0000022~M0016347~M0016386~M0016389~C0255581&isForSupStore=fal se&cCatFilter=&eCatSupFldr=<br /><br />Good luck,<br />Gary

merc20

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks alot. I was thinking heat, I guess it is time to try it. It sure can't hurt anything now though.

merc20

Seaman Apprentice

Heat did the trick. I melted the plastic bushing right out of it. No problem though, I have already found a replacement.<br /><br />Thanks again