1993 175HP Ocean Pro shuts down

seabytes

Recruit
The engine will run fine for a while and then turn-off. It will start right back up but quickly shut down again. The problem then gets progressively worse. The next day it might run fine depends on how long it runs. I had a mechanic look at it he ran it for about 20 minutes with no problems. The next day I went fishing and the problem started again on the way in. It stalled about 20 times as I limped in. Has anyone ever experienced this?

angus63

Captain
Re: 1993 175HP Ocean Pro shuts down

Welcome Seabytes!!!!!!<br /><br />I have a similar motor. Since you start out okay and you have these problems after running a while, I would look at three things.<br />The easiest is a loose engine cutoff lanyard switch. Make sure the clip is secure and the switch is functioning properly.<br />Next is a fuel restriction. Is the bulb going flat? Does the motor fire but stall when attemting to accelerate? Try a remote fuel tank and different fuel line to rule this out.<br />Finally, and probably the most likely, is a thermal condition that is affecting the electronic ignition system. Carry a timing light and when this occurs, check all 6 cyls for firing.<br />If you let the motor cool for 1/2 hr and it works okay for a short time, my guess is this is the problem.<br />You can troubleshoot the ignition components using the factory manual (powerpack,coils,stator).<br /><br />One other thing, there is a shift switch on the stbd side that cuts out 3 cyls while shifting. If thats sticks, you will be limpin'!. You can simply disconnect it to rule it out.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know what happens!!!

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1993 175HP Ocean Pro shuts down

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Does the engine just die completely like it has no spark at all?<br /><br />You really need to verify if you have spark when it fails. If you do it will probably be a fuel delivery problem.<br /><br />If no spark, could be a heat related fault in the powerpack causing lack of spark to all cylinders<br /><br />Or it could be your kill circuit that is causing the problem. Try disconnecting the black/yellow wire which runs from the ignition switch to the powerpack. When this is grounded it kills the spark (& hence the motor).<br /><br />Alternatively, you can disconnect the red connector connecting the motor to the ignition switch and then start the motor by using a wire to short between the 12V battery connection at the solenoid and the solenoid control terminal. Note that you won't be able to turn off the motor using the key when you do this. You'll need to kill it using the primer (choke).<br /><br />If the problem goes away then you've got an intermittent problem with your kill circuit.