85 evinrude 9.9 help

olm

Seaman
just bought an 85 9.9 and it needed a water pump.<br />while replacing the pump which i have done many times on larger ingines. the shaft came out of the lower unit. Is this ok? also seals for shaft look worn any tricks to getting them out? I bought a shop manuel but it is lacking in details. should I take it to a pro? Dont want to spend alot but it is going to be my sons first boat & motor. Thanks for any help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 evinrude 9.9 help

The driveshaft coming out of the lower unit is normal. I assume the "shaft seals" you speak of are thw driveshaft seals. If so, a small slide hammer type puller would remove them. However, if they aren't leaking, leave them as they are.

olm

Seaman

thanks, Joe I replaced the seals & water pump and it runs perfect now.

olm

Seaman

a couple of new observations. when running the motor no water comes out of the prop only exhaust. motor does not get hot and water does come out of exaust ports. Is this ok or ist it clogged? also could never get shift rod to fully insert in coupler any tricks to this spent the better part of a day and still off somewhat. thanks once again for the help.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My new in 88, 9.9 has never had a hot water discharge. I stopped worrying. According to the book I should.