96 OMC/Johnson Won't Tilt

H2Odog

Cadet
Hey guys, I have a 50hp Johnson remote steer with tilt. It is currently in the up position and when I went to lower I pushed the button on the motor for a second (i was going the wrong way :rolleyes: ) Anyway like I said it was just for a second and the motor was starting to come down. But when i pushed in the up position, nothing. The tilt motor was not even working, tried down again...nothing. I can hear the relays clicking but the motor is doing nothing :confused: Any ideas?<br />Thanks

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 96 OMC/Johnson Won't Tilt

First, an overview of the system...<br /><br />You should hav a two wire trim motor (blue and green). The motor runs with 12 volts applied, and runs in reverse when the 12v is reversed on the leads from the motor. The trim relays at rest are both sending ground to the motor. When energized, the 'up' relay sends 12v+ to the blue wire (blue skies), or 'down' sends 12v+ to the green wire (green grass).<br /><br />First, make sure the ground and 12V supply are good to the trim relay assembly, and that the two wire plug in to the trim motor (just under the relay assembly) is clean and tight. <br /><br />Unplug the two wire connector to the trim motor (blue and green wires, heavier guage than the other wires) and apply 12V to blue and ground to green on the motor side of the connection. Motor should run and tilt angle should increase. If trim motor does not run, it is bad. Reverse the 12V and ground, trim motor should run and tilt angle should decrease. If trim motor does not run, it is bad.<br /><br />Check the relays with a test light. To check the ground side of the relays, attach the test light lead to a good 12V source, and probe each wire on the relay side of the same two wire trim motor connection. Test light should light on each wire. Connect the test light lead to a good ground on the motor, and probe each wire again. The blue wire should light the test light when the up trim button is pushed and the green should light it when down trim is pushed. If any portion of this test fails to light the test light, you have a bad trim relay. I recommend replacing both relays if either is bad.<br /><br />NOTE: If all tests pass and your trim motor still doesn't run, the relays still could be bad. The relay(s) may not be making a good enough connection to carry the heavier current needed to operate the trim motor.

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great post TxShorty. H20dog, if your trim motor tests bad, you'll most likely have to remove the T&T assembly to get at all the screws. My trim motor failed due to water intrusion. I cleaned and polished the internals and replaced the o-ring and I escaped the hefty cost of a replacement motor. Good luck with it.

H2Odog

Cadet

Thanks TxShorty<br /><br />They make these things such a biatch to work on. I took off the lower cowl and found the connector down to the pump. Hooked up 2 wires from the battery direct and it made some clicking noises at the pump then decided to go up slow. Tried it again same thing. Looks like the insulation on the wires is cracked. Kinda hard to do under a shop light but I will get a couple spade connectors to make sure I have a good connection, but it looks like the pump :(