Little help with my OMC Tilt Kit maintenance, please?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
it's a 1979 70hp, model 70973, the tilt/trim is not covered in the manual but is an "OMC Power Tilt Kit", found the diagram on the BRP diagram site, see below. No trim, just tilt.<br /><br />It's getting weak, starting to complain a bit, & won't hold the motor up for low speed shallow running as good as it used to.<br /><br />It's not clear to me how to add fluid or even check the level. I don't mind hacking into it on my own, but if anybody remembers ever working on one a these & has some advice, I sure would appreciate it.<br /><br />THANKS!!<br /><br />
convertilFN5C5Crtecomprod5Cwebcat5C.gif

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Little help with my OMC Tilt Kit maintenance, please?

Just jumping in because it has been a while since you asked. <br />I think you: (1)raise the motor to full tilt and support it;<br />(2)take out screw shown as #29 on your diagram;<br />(3)observe that fluid is up to the bottom of the hole, and fill if not;<br />(4)if you have to add fluid, cycle motor up and down a few times and check again.<br /><br />The diagram is for a prestolite pump. Someone jump in here if I'm wrong, please.

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right about filling procedure ezeke. <br /><br />This tilt unit was never designed to hold a trim angle, as you aleady said jtexas. Most of these systems that I've seen tend to bleed down no matter what. The fact that yours ever did hold trim is very surprising to me...<br /><br />If you're game, replacing the o-rings in the base of the pump (16 adn 32?) and the large o-ring on the piston (12) should restore it to what it once was. You'll have to find a supplier to carry them to so they can match them up.....

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

thanks guys, this'll be helpful, I'd hate for it to go out on me on the water...<br /><br />I wouldn't say "hold trim" exactly...but I use to could run up a creek or through a stump field at something higher than idle speed.<br /><br />would auto transmission fluid do the trick?<br /><br />interesting...there's no fuse or breaker in this circuit...<br /><br />thanks,