1977 115 hp Johnson - Lubricating Steering Pivot

spiker_man

Cadet
1977 115 horse Johnson outboard on a 1976 Glastron T186. I'm a newbie with this boat & motor. Owners manual tells me to lubricate the steering pivot. Doesn't give instructions other than to say to start pumping in new grease until all old grease comes out through the pivot (if I understood the limited instructions). Does this sound correct? Anyone know exactly how I do this? I do see a nipple just above the pivot. Am I correct in thinking I connect my grease gun to that nipple and start pumping away? Seems to me it's going to be pretty messy to clean up the old grease that comes out. Thanks for any advice.

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1977 115 hp Johnson - Lubricating Steering Pivot

spiker,i would just give it a couple of pumps,i dont think you need to totally pump out all the old stuff.just my opion.i have a 1969 115 jonny and every winter i just give mine a couple of pumps to keep it fresh.keep a rag close by in case some old grease comes a squirting.good luck and grease any other fittings you see the same way.....<br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***<br /> ***THURSDAY***

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it hasn't been done for a long time there may not be much grease in there. Pump it in there until you see it coming out at the bottom of the pivot shaft. Same thing with all other grease fittings. put it in until it just starts to come back out of the fitting.<br /><br />When I did mine it took a half a tube just to do the pivot ;)

spiker_man

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the help.

michaelfbush

Cadet

The purpose is to assure good lubrication. Pump in the good till what comes out proves that all the bad is out. Just look at what comes out, if you would feel good about putting that grezz back in then stop pumping the job is done. Just make sure you know where to look for the stuff coming out. alot of upper drive shaft splins are not visible so the two or three pump rule applies.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you use good grease, I only use OMC "triple guard" as normal automotive type grase will go hard in water and seize up the swivel bracket, and that can be hours of fun to free up, especially if you live in what Rodbolt calls a "salt pond"