Water in carb of early '60s 9.5 Evinrude

Michole

Recruit
I have water in the carb and head of my early 60s 9.5 Evinrude. I know I had a slow leak in the lower unit (white oil), but I took it out for a trip and as soon as I put it in the water and try to start it, the motor would not run. I have a breather tube in the carb and when I blew into it, water came out around the carb. It turned over for just a second and stopped again and I repeated the blow and once again water came out. I took out the plugs and they were wet. Any suggestions including if I can get it repaired for less than $100 in parts (I do the work).<br /><br />mnj

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water in carb of early '60s 9.5 Evinrude

Hello MNJ.<br />Water in lower unit (gearbox) hase nothing to do, with water in carb and cyl.head.<br />Well, first thing you shall do, is to control, that the water is not comming from gaz tank.<br />If no water in gaz tank, then you shall make a comp.test at both cyl. If bad comp then dismantle the powerhead, clean it, and find the leak, new gasket, and you should be running.<br />If comp is OK, then dismantle your fuel pump, for making control of the fuelpump rubberdiafram (water can go from leak power head to crankshafthouse and then to fuelpump).<br />If you still havent found the leak, then take the carb of, turn the motor, and control that the water is not comming out from the carb inlet (leaf block).<br />Let us know the result.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome mnj,<br /><br />Unless you run your motor with the cover off or sunk it, the only place I can think of that would allow water in is your fuel system.<br /><br />As Duke says check your fuel tank for water. Inspect the tank for any place water could get in, if its a metal tank there's a gasket under the housing on top of the tank. If the tank is old ( like the original) it may need to be replaced. Inspect the fuel line and connections, if the line is old it may have cracks forming, replace it.<br /><br />Clear the carb of any fuel/water mix a new supply of fuel and see if you're still getting water.<br /><br />Just a note: the wetness you seen on the plug is normal, its just unburned fuel from the cranking and not starting.<br /><br /> EDIT: My advice is, in the future don't leave the fuel tank out in the rain up there in beautifull Oregon. I've been there :D <br /><br />Post back results :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Most likely source of water in the carb is your gas tank. That's easy to remove. Prop the tank so that the fill is low, then syphon from the bottom until the water is out and gas begins flowing.<br /><br />The most likely source of water in the cylinder (unless it came from the carb) is a leaky head gasket. Do the tank first. If you still get water in the cylinder, replace the head gasket.