OMC Sea Drive users

Boatbk

Recruit
Pro and Cons. Does anyone have or had a OMC sea drive? Do you like it and could you get parts for it if you needed them? I have heard that parts are hard to get for these. Have you had any water ingestion problems? Thank You for the info..

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: OMC Sea Drive users

I have a pair of 1987 1.6L SeaDrives on the back of my 1988 Wellcraft CC & run in salt water. I have had this rig for 11 years and love it. I have had zero problems with the SeaDrives. The power heads are pretty much standard Johnny/Rude bubble backs. OMC did not advertise the hp ratings for these engines but if you dig into the OMC shop manual (which is a must to have) mine are rated at 110 hp. As to pros & cons - Pros - I like the full transom - Cons - You have to mount these engines just right as you cannot adjust the height on the transom without remounting the complete assembly and drilling new mounting holes.<br /><br />I have not had an ingestion problem related to the SeaDrives but I have heard that some/many owners did. What I do is when coming off of plane I kick the throttle a tad as the wake chases the transom. If you chop the throttle abruptly the wake tend to want to wash over the cowl which can lead to ingestion.<br /><br />Again - If you get/have one make sure that you get the OMC shop & parts manual. Also I think the shop manual came in two flavors - one for engines with hydraulic steering and one without.

Boatbk

Recruit
Re: OMC Sea Drive users

Thank You very much for the information. It was reassuring.I am seeking replacement stainless steel hyd. hose's for the bracket tilt piston, any idea where to start looking?