Carb kit for big twin

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
I just got a carb kit (#439074) for the 1956 30 hp that I got last week, and it included a new float - CORK. I thought the newer ones were plastic.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Carb kit for big twin

Sounds like it was original old stock. Who did you get it from?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

BRP dealer w/package date of 07/2005 on the BRP label.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you ask them about it? I'd think it was still old stock, just repackaged. Gotta wonder though :p

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If your worried about it absorbing gas over time, dip it in melted wax. It will be sealed.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Not worried. It's well sealed. Just curious. I thought all new floats were plastic/composite.<br /><br />BTW, I think gasoline will dissolve wax/paraffin. I know kerosene will. Shellac is what I've heard the more senior techs using.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Shellac was what they used to seal the cork with - that's the old school sealant. Problem is that alcohol augmented fuels will dissolve it. Model airplane dope is pretty popular for sealing old corks, but PVC plumbing cement works well for me (MEK based). Thinned epoxy is another possiblility but it seems to me that modern gas makes epoxy soft so I wouldn't trust it.<br /><br />Just a FYI. I've heard a few people here say they got cork floats with their new kits but usually it's the black plastic one. With the price of cork being what it is, I doubt you'll see any newly manufactured cork ones.<br /><br />Good luck with the 30hp!