Which spark plug for a Evinrude 150??

Hi folks......I have another question, since your help was so great for the first one!! ahaha! I have the Evinrude 150 on my 93 Stratos and currently use the Champion QL77JC4 PLUG....Was wondering which would be better for a motor that I feel is running a little rich? I'm thinking a little hotter plug should do the trick? What about the gapless one? Any better?? thanks again!<br /><br />Rick

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Which spark plug for a Evinrude 150??

Feelings are a great thing,but holes in pistons are even greater.Why do youn feel your engine is a little rich ?<br /><br />DHP

When I start it when the motor is cold and push the key into choke just a little it easily fouls the plugs and I have to pull the plugs and clean all the extra gas off them....I usually dont choke it at all when I start it. Sometimes u have rev the motor to clear it out when first started because it acts like it wants to load up with gas....any suggestions?<br /><br />Rick

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rick,<br /><br />What did you end up doing to fix the problems in your first post on the forum?

Well...you guys told me that I have a carburated motor, that was my main question! I'm still waiting for my service manual to return. I ran my boat yesterday and it runs real good in the cooler weather, but I'm thinking I could first get a good, proven plug and then get the carbs adjusted next.....<br /><br />Rick

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Regardless of the motor type, unless it is a commercial, I cannot find a reference to QL77JC4 as the correct plug for a 1993 150HP. <br /><br />If that is the correct year, I think you should be talking to a dealer.

bubbakat

Captain

My book says to use a QL78YC Gap at 30 but if it is indeed running a little rich I would gap at 40

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rick,<br /><br />Proven spark plug choices are QL77JC4 and the alternate is QL16V which may be a hotter plug I'm not familiar with it, not sure what the gap would be for that motor either ;)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I'm with Bubbakat, but I'm not a tech.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is the parts list with reference to spark plugs for that motor. Click here

thanks, guys! I'll try the QL16Y and see what that does....I really need to just take it to the boat folks and get it tuned up, but sceered that they will charge me an arm and a leg!! :( <br /><br />Rick

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's QL16V :D

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ezeke and others, be very careful with that ChampionSparkplugs site. The current Champion chart is *way off* in some places, for example:<br />'60s 40hp.<br />That ought to be a J4C! A J8C can destroy an engine. Never mind that the resistor plugs can sometimes cause havoc with the magneto anyway.<br /><br />Go with the latest BRP application charts. You can find them in the E/J service parts catalog at ishopmarine.com, or the chart at boatsetup.com (that they seem to keep well up to date):<br /> http://www.boatsetup.com/SparkPlugChart.pdf