Johnson 9.9 High Speed Orifice

StressedOut

Cadet
1977 Johnson 9.9. Cleaning Carb and wondering if the high speed orifice should be replaced. it seems ok but have part and will replace .... how can you get it out ... does it screw out ? Tried unscrewing and didn't move easily so left it until I could ask on this forum. any help appreciated.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 9.9 High Speed Orifice

Should screw right out....unless someone stripped it in. If it looks OK and is clean, really no need to replace it.

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with OBJ... You should use an indexed drill bit to insure that it is fully clean (should be able to reach the orifice through the drain screw hole). Sometimes an acid bath just isn't enough.

StressedOut

Cadet

Took your advise and didn't remove high speed orafice. I cleaned high speed orafice, removed low speed jet and thoughly cleaned. I took thin, flexible wire and gently made sure that there was no blockages in low speed holes. Blew out all passages with compressed air. Replaced cork float, gasket and inlet needle. Then re-assembled and she fired right up and idled beautifully. Idle problem fixed and owe it to this forum. Thanks OBJ !!!