"89" -70hp VRO problems

TerryH

Cadet
After messing with the oil injection, off and on all season. I finally took several peoples advise and removed the oil tank and line to the VRO pump. I plugged the line to the oil side of the pump, then added oil to my gas tank.<br />Is this all I have to do? A fella tried to sell me a new Gas pump minus the oil mixing part for 160.00 at one of the lakes I was at when I was experiancing some problems. Do I need to replace it?

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: "89" -70hp VRO problems

There is either a 4 wire or 5 wire lead from the VRO pump. Either unplug the lead entirely or unplug it and remove the tan wire and reconnect it. If not done, you will recieve an oil warning horn. If you had left the oil tank in the boat, you would also have had to disconnect the 2 wire lead from there...

TerryH

Cadet

TO: Tx Shorty,<br />I did cut the 2 wires going to the oil tank, and taped them off seperate from each other, do they need to be tied together?<br />As to the tan Wire I can remove it (I think) what are the other wires for in this plug?<br />appreciate the help!

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

The oil tank (low level) wires are to be wrapped seperately or removed entirely. Unplug the VRO harness and your finished. The wires are for VRO associated alarms. The overheat alarm is totally seperate. It should sound (self-test) briefly when the switch is turned over. If it doesn't, with the switch on, ground the tan wire leading from the overheat sensor (actually a bi-metal switch) back to the controls. I disconnected the VRO on my 89 V4 when I purchased it last year and I've never regretted it.