Help on Buying Decision

gnations

Recruit
I am new to boating and am getting ready to make my first purchase. I am interested in a deck boat. I went to a couple of dealers to start my education process as to what I want, different type of features, and price points. I have looked at Chaparral, VIP, and Sea Ray. So far the VIP is the least expensive, and the Chapparal is competitive with Sea Ray. I like the Chaparral the best but is it worth the extra money. I am not opposed to paying top dollar for Chaparral but because of lack of experience I am wondering if I need to. I am most concerned with Quality and Reliability than anything else. I could go without some of the nice features the Chaparal has over the VIP if the quality/realiabilty are the same. There are so many boat manufacturers and the prices are about $10,000 grand apart it seems between the boats. What do you think are the manufacturers I should be considering which give me the best value for my money when it comes to quality and reliability? Any other helpful advice that you could give a newbie would be great? What is the one thing you wished you would have known before buying your first boat? Thanks for your help?<br /><br />Grant

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help on Buying Decision

A deck boat is an excellent choice for a good time with the family and friends. I have owned a number of boats over the years including a pontoon boat (which also was great). My wife and I purchased a 1998 Bayliner Rendezvous 21' earlier this year and we love it. We looked at Chaps also but the price tag difference was major. Chaps, Hurricanes, and Cobia decks are great and are real popular around here, but there a bunch of Rendezvous in use too. The only complaints I have with the Rendezvous are that it is under-powered (it has a 120 butneeds a 140/150 in my opinion), so I will replace it in the future. The only other issue is that it doesn't move water out of the upper bilge area very well. The bilge under the storage area under the front deck pumps out into the back/lower bilge and then is pumped out of the boat, wich means it is being pumped twice. This is an issue for me because I leave my boats in the water for extended periods and while I don't worry about it sinking it is an issue to watch. Other issues I have are related to things the previous owner did/didn't do and have nothing to do with the mfg or quality of the boat. While many folks in this forum would argue that the quality difference between the Bayliner and other mfgs like Chaps is significant, for normal use on lakes, rivers, inshore, bay use, etc, the Rendezvous is a good choice and mine rides good even in rough chop conditions. I have not had it out in very rough conditions and I suspect that most normal users would not either. To me for the $$ the Rendezvous is worth a look and for most family fun is a good buy.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Both Chaparral and Sea Ray easily outsell VIP. At the least, this should tell you that most boaters consider the Chap and SR worth the extra $$. Just how much you "need" to pay for a boat is entirely up to you. The cheap boats do not fall apart and sink! But after 10 years or so they will look more worn out than the nicer boats. As to just which boat will give the most quality per dollar, that is up to your dealer more than the boat builder. Some dealers will negotiate low prices, some won't. Dealers can vary a lot, even from one town to the next.<br /><br />Of course you could buy a Chap or SR for the same $$ as the new VIP. As long as the Chap or SR was used. Which isn't a bad idea. And when the time comes to sell, you won't have to wait so long for a shopper looking for a used Chap or SR.<br /><br />Just what size deckboat are you looking for?<br /><br />Here are some more threads that might help -<br /><br /> Chaparral Sunesta or Regal Destiny? <br /><br /> Deck Boats <br /><br /> VIP info needed <br /><br />Kelly Cook

gnations

Recruit

I went to the Houston Boat Show today trying to nail down exactly what I am looking for. My wife and I have narrowed it down to Stingray 220DR, the Chaparral 216, and the Tahoe 228. We feel that these three boats are in our price range and most importantly we like the layout and look of these boats the best. I would rank these boats when considering everything we are looking for Chap, Stingray, Tahoe. I don;t think I could go wrong with either of these and will probably go with the dealer who gives me the best deal. If the stingray or Chap is not too far away priced from the Tahoe I will probably go with one of them, but if I can't find the value in the extra features, building materials, warranty etc to justify the extra cost I will probably lean to the Tahoe. Anything else I should consider, tips on working with the dealers to negotiate best deal, which one would you choose and why. One thing I noticed is that the Stingray and Chap come standard with a 260 Hp engine while the tahoe comes with a 220hp. I know I will want that extra torque and power so I need to compare all the boats with similar motors when pricing. We considered the four winns and sea ray as well but just like the layout of the boats we are considering better. Thanks for the help

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Chaparral is really in a different class from the others. Costs more, but will also be easier to find a buyer for it when you sell. The Stingray vs Tahoe would be a tough choice for me. Each boat has some things I like better than on the other. Might want to consider how decent the local dealer is too. Here are some more threads that at least touch on Stingray or Tahoe -<br /><br /> Looking for a NEW deck boat?? any suggestions? <br /><br /> Trailer Boats Boards » ... » Deck boat <br /><br />Kelly