Grady White conversion to OB...

hohmanr

Seaman Apprentice
I have a friend who is seriously considering converting his 1984 24' Grady White from I/O to Outboards...Apparently he has a source that told him it's "simple" to add a fiberglass extension on the back and throw some big offshore outboards on...I told him he is nuts...Aren't boat's designed w/ eye towards how much weight is aft and how far aft it is??? I would guess that throwing outboards on would make the vessel plane at point where it would effect stability and safety...Anyone out there ever hear of such a thing???

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Grady White conversion to OB...

i wouldn't call it simple, but people do it all the time. takes some knowledge and learning, but a transom can be closed, bracket mounted, and outboard installed. not sure if weight is an issue, but i'm sure people have worked through it. you're usually cutting the weight in half going to an outboard. you can replace with additional fuel tanks.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Grady White conversion to OB...

Suggested to a friend that he do the same thing on his 2370 CHAPARREL. Volvo 290 DP was giving him so many problems that we considered sinking it or mounting a mast/sail. Looked like it would not be a big job after having a quality bracket made up. Neighbor across the canal has an old boat with a OMC sea drive. Looks real heavy and never saw it perform. Outboard conversion would certainally eliminate a lot of weight and headaches. Friend decided to give it one last shot and purchased a new outdrive, will be mounting it this week. Hope he made the right decision. regards fred