Boat Horn -- Attwood Bellow

CATransplant

Admiral
I really got tired of freon horns and didn't want to wire up an electric or air horn on my little fishing boat.<br /><br />Then, in the local Mills Fleet Farm store, I found just the thing. It's the Attwood Bellow horn. No freon. No electricity. You just blow on it, and you don't even have to blow that hard.<br /><br />It's the loudest darned thing I've ever heard. 110 decibels, meets the Coast Guard requirements for small boats. I have it on a lanyard hung from my console.<br /><br />Cheap, too. I think I gave $12 for it. No more freon for me.<br /><br />I'm really serious. If you see this thing, buy it. It produces a sound that is guaranteed to be heard and the power source is always just a breath away.<br /><br />Durability is the only thing I can't attest to, so I'll have to wait. It's plastic, and appears to produce the sound from a diaphragm of some kind.<br /><br />I do know that nobody's going to ignore it on the water. It sounds like an ocean liner.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat Horn -- Attwood Bellow

NICE....I'll have to get one for my little 15'. Wonder how long it last......anyway for 12 bucks if you get 5 yrs out of it what more could u ask for.

CATransplant

Admiral

I don't know about longevity, since I got mine just a couple of months ago. The thing will wake the dead, I'm sure.<br /><br />Check the web, but make sure you check prices. I've seen them for from around $10 to almost $20. If you do your homework, you'll find one at a reasonable price.

JohnRuff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you toss out a link where this horn can be purchased?

CATransplant

Admiral

Just do a search on Google for "Attwood Bellow" (no quotes). You'll see dozens of places you can get it.<br /><br />iboats, our host here, doesn't seem to carry it, though.<br /><br />NB: I have nothing to do with Attwood. I just like the thing.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Use one.<br /><br />They're completely plastic inside too, I think. This one's been in the sea twice, and still works.<br /><br />Dead simple and crude, but exactly what I need. I was fed up with wiring up stupid little horns that squeaked and then died during the winter.

CATransplant

Admiral

Good to hear. I like simple and crude when it comes to things like that. And the darned thing is LOUD!

Moody Blue

Captain

Does it sound like a horn ? I bought something similar from a local supplier and it sounded more like a noise maker used at new-years-eve parties but only much louder. I've seen these Atwood horns regularly on e-bay for $9.99 for 2 but they won't ship to Canada.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yes, it sounds like a horn. It's kind of high-pitched, but it's not like the one you mentioned, which is like a noisemaker.<br /><br />It's a very loud, high-pitched blast, and doesn't take much air at all to get it going. I tried mine in the store before I bought it....don't do that! Every head in that large store looked right at me.